actiive UV blocker.

I was looking for a good product to restore the clarity to my headlight lenses, and the Sylvania 3-step kit said, "This UV Block Clear coat is a specially formulated polymer coating with active and passive UV blockers"

I understand passive UV blockers, but what are active. Do they run up to the sun and keep it from sending out UV?

I can't copy the url because it's on the other computer.

Anyone happy with what they used for headlight lenses?

Reply to
micky

Off hand, I might think the active blockers deflect UV and the passive are antioxidants that prevent the damage.

Keeping cars in garage I have never had to polish a lens. In my mind a good kit would be polish to restore surface, coating to protect against UV and materials in the coating to add abrasion resistance.

Such materials exist and what surprises me are the expensive cars with cheap dulled lenses.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

A minor quibble but I think you have it backwards:

Something like benzophenones that absorb UV seem to me to be the active ones. Semantics...

Reply to
rbowman

You are correct. I should have said absorb.

Reply to
invalid unparseable