AC Question

What is the sequence of failure when an AC filter is not changed, left to clog up, and the system fail? Can someone who knows AC explain how this works through the components.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

I do not work with AC but I might be able to answer your question. Inside air is moved by the blower over the cooling coils and into the rooms. If the filter is clogged then the air will not move freely and the blower will have to work harder making it susceptible to damage. As the air moves over the cooling coils heat is absorbed by the coils preventing them from freezing. If the air flow is restricted then there is a chance the coils will ice up further restricting the flow of air and not able to provide the volume to cool down your place.

Reply to
Jack Hammer

On a fairly ordinary central AC, the clogged air filter reduces air flow (of course). The thermostat isn't satisfied, so the system runs all the time. Since there is less air movement, the blower runs under less load, but runs more hours. On most sytems, the cooling action in the indoor coil continues, and eventually, the coils freeze. Since the system is moving less BTU per hour, the load on the compressor is lower.

Eventually, the refrigerant system is working, more hours but less hard.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Sounds reasonable. The suction pressure drops. If it gets below atmospheric pressure it could suck in moisture, but not unless there is a leak. Systems may cycle on a low pressure limit.

Doesn't sound to me like a good sabotage method.

Reply to
bud--