AC filter options

My mother's AC uses a 24 x 24 filter for her central A.C.

She is having to pay $3.00 for each fiberglass filter.

I am looking for ideas on cutting down on that cost.

Thanks, Andy

Andy

Get an electrostatic filter in a plastic or aluminum frame. They last a long time and are washable. Payback time will be a couple of years or so.

RicodJour

haven't seem them that cheap for many years.

Reply to
Art Todesco

Lowes has the cheapo fiberglass ones in 3 packs for under $5.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

furnace side. I use a trouble light first on one side and then the other so that I can see the dirt. The filters are blue and the dust is gray, so it's not hard to see where you miss, either by direct light or by the shadow missed areas create when you use transmitted light. I do that every 2 months. After a year I discard the filters and insert new ones. I've never made a hole in a filter and haven't noticed any problem doing this. Not a great savings considering the heating and AC bills, but even so, why waste $$?

Reply to
Peter

I went to my local HVAC contractor/supply house with a filter in hand. They nicely MADE me a washable filter for $10.00. Get a spray can of "filter oil," which helps collect the dirt. You can then wash it out with a hose when needed. MUCH cheaper, and more convenient. The return ducts in some of the rooms already had such filters. Wash out at least once a year.

Reply to
deadgoose

Lowes wants 4.80 each for the size I

Reply to
Andy

They want $4.80 each for the size I need.

Andy

Reply to
Andy

Good idea.

Andy

Reply to
Andy

for her central A.C.

I did that for a few months.

I decided it was too much work plus the electricity cost of running the vac was probably close to the cost of a new filter.

Andy

Reply to
Andy

r for her central A.C.

I think you're off with your electricity cost number...by a factor of, oh, about two or three orders of magnitude!

The amount of effort involved in washing is about the same as vacuuming the filter, so maybe that won't work for you either.

RicodJour

r for her central A.C.

If you think it will cost 3$ to run a Vac for 30 seconds to clean a filter, I must ask, when is the last time the house was vacumed. Because it wont cost 3$ probably not even 3 cents, so I bet you never vacume. You really need to inspect the AC coil and furnace to see how good a job of cleaning your present maintenance does, because fiberglass filters are not good enough to keep AC coils clean.

Reply to
ransley

ter for her central A.C.

Take some deep breaths.

The statement wasn't meant to be taken literally. :-)

AC system could not use pleated filters, they caused freezing up of the coils.

Andy

Reply to
Andy

The AC system might need some attention, then. By HVAC service company.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Many things can be purchased cheaper online. Have you tried a Froogle search?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

glegroups.com...

New High Efficiency outside unit, inside unit 15+ yrs. old.

Pleated filters reduce airflow, older units not designed for such.

Andy

Reply to
Andy

I found the right size at Home Depot for 1.00 cheaper. They'll do till I get a washable electrostatic one.

Andy

Reply to
Andy

I found the right size at Home Depot for 1.00 cheaper. They'll do till I get a washable electrostatic one.

Andy

I got the electrostat ones, and then quit using them. A lot of work to clean PROPERLY. May go back to them, particularly with this talk of pleated filters. Is it that they work so well, they create an air restriction? The cheepie spun glass (?) ones look like you could drop a dime through some of them, and don't look that efficient.

So, what's the best way to go?

And are there any differences in the $75 ones you get at the AC HVAC shop (egad! that's IF they sell them to you without a license) and the $25 similar ones you get at the Borg where you may have to trim to size?

Steve

Heart surgery pending? Read up and prepare. Learn how to care for a friend.

Steve B

.

My advice came from a trusted friend and AC guy who does both home and commercial.

I talked the other day to a Lowe's manager. Got advice different from other things I have been told.

I would trust what your AC guy says since he knows what is in your system.

I think in my mother's situation, the pleated filters restricted the air flow so much that the coils froze up.

Maybe the newer units are engineered to use pleated filters.

Andy

Reply to
Andy

On Oct 21, 12:56=A0pm, Andy wrote: .

If the coils are freezing up it's probaby because the coils need to be cleaned.

In my current home which I bought in '02, the air handler was (replaced it in '05) 18 yrs old and ran fine with pleated filters.

Reply to
Ron