AC outlets and breakers

Is there any way to check to see if two AC outlets are on the same breaker without flipping breakers on and off?

Probably not but couldn't hurt to ask.

TIA

Reply to
KenK

They have testers to locate breakers, where you plug a widget into the receptacle and it injects a signal that the handheld tester then can sniff at the panel.

Reply to
trader_4

trader_4 snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Interesting. Never heard of this. Will research it. Thanks much!

Reply to
KenK

I don't know how well this one will work, but here is an example.

Ralph Mowery

It's one of those things that once in a while you could use to make things easier, but then you forget about it and probably not worth what it costs unless you're going to use it regularly. Still, I guess it might be worth it just to label all the breakers, something I always intended to do, but never have. Wonder if Harbor Freight has a cheap one?

Reply to
trader_4

Bite the bullet and map out and label all circuits, outlets, lights and appliances.

It sounds like an enormous task but it's not as bad as you might think.

Reply to
Smitty

None at H-F or H-D Amazon has several choices with much better reviews than the Lowes unit

Anonymous

That's the route I took. I used graph paper and drew a layout of my home on each floor, then added switch and light symbols. Made copies and keep one set at the panel.

Reply to
Hawk

I want one. I wish I had a use for it.

Reply to
micky

The one for 30 dollars is a lot like the Lowes for 49, but it doesn't autmoatically adjust sensitivity. Doing it manually could end up causing one to have to scan more than twice (I'm assuming the autmoatic one actually works well.)

In the closeup of the part that plugs in, it includes the 3-led tester and it has an indication for hot and ground reversed, and hot and neutral reversed, but not one for neutral and ground reversed.

I guess that is because there is no way to tell without looking?

Reply to
micky

If no friend is available, plug a radio into an outlet to be checked and turn the volume all the way up so you can hear it at the fuse box.

Reply to
micky