ABS repair update

Well, I went to ACE, you know, the place with the friendly hardware man!

After checking with someone who qualified as the oldest human in the world, the guy swore this two part epoxy putty would stick to ABS, and it was the thing to use. So, off I went, two part putty in hand.

I sanded the ABS as directed, kneaded the epoxy, and applied. IT DIDN'T STICK. So, rather quickly, I wiped off the dust from sanding and tried again, daubing marble sized lumps into the affected area. This stuff says it has a three minute work time. By the time I was finished sticking it in the groove, it was changing consistency. I could feather the edges. It looks pretty good.

It says to let it sit for eight hours. I'm going quail hunting for a couple of days, so will just let it really cure.

I think if I had it to do again, I would use some of that fast JBWeld. I had used it once before, and it is a little gooey, but sits up fast. Probably work it until it hardens enough to stick, then apply.

We'll see on Saturday.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Bet you a quail it doesn't work....

Reply to
Bishoop

That two-part epoxy stuff is pretty good. I've never used it on ABS, but I tend to agree with you. It can be hard to get things to stick to ABS. I think he should clean it with all-purpose cleaner, use ABS cement, and cover it with a small slice of more ABS.

Reply to
Bob

I think it is a big mistake to wait until it starts to set before applying. I'd recommend applying early as that is when the most chemical action is taking place. I also like jbweld, but my favorite is the stuff for repairing gas tanks that are full of gasoline. I've used it successfully many times.

Reply to
WM

ABS is best repaired with solvent, like lacquer thinner, carburetor choke spray, or lacquer thinner, using scraps of ABS as filler.. I'd never use epoxy on ABS unless I absolutely had no alternatives. The same goes for styrene and PVC. Epoxy works well only on hard plastic, like bakelite, polyester, and epoxy-fiberglass. Generally if a plastic isn't very hard and isn't affected by one of those solvents, it's best repaired by melting it with a soldering iron.

Reply to
do_not_spam_me

I've only seen that in small packages, and very expensive. I've used it on two occasions,** for gas tanks.

Is there a way to buy it more cheaply, in larger containers , I guess, than the little kits I've seen?

** when I ran over a chrome strip, and 5 years later when the original repair started to leak (possibly or possibly not because the car spent a day or two inside a body shop. The second patch failed after about the same time, and it didn't spend any time in a body shop.)

mm

i think deavcon plastic steel putty is the best epoxie ive ever used,works on gas tanks and about anything else. it comes in 1 pound cans and can get at gemplers.com .a pound is 24.00 but it goes a long way.its industrial use item so you wont find it at hardware stores.. lucas

ds549

it's called devcon

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

Every auto parts store seems to have a different brand. Most are around $5 to $8 for 2 ounces.

Reply to
WM