Above ground elec. from house to garage?

I'm in Boston and have a garage that is about 6 feet from the house . The garage has no electricity. Is it legal to run an extension from the house about 10 feet up off the ground out to the garage? It looks like the previous owners did it but they took it down long before i bought it.

Reply to
eric

If you mean an extension cord, no, it would not be legal. You'd have to run the proper outdoor wire with drip loops, proper attachments, strain reliefs to a box inside. Or it can go underground. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Only 10 feet? Dig a trench, lay some PVC pipe, drill a hole in both walls, run some wire, light it up!

Reply to
Frank

Whereas On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 02:23:37 GMT, "eric" scribbled: , I thus relpy:

Not really.

Reply to
Gary Tait

well, I ran into a similar situation, with the kids treehouse. What I did was mount 3 porclean insulators on the house, then another set on the treehouse. I have one neutral, two hots(220v.) and I bonded the neutral and ground in the treehouse at a $10.00 Square-D circuit box. The whole job is fed by a 30 amp double pole Pushmatic breaker(ancient, I know), then the wires go in romex to a service head. Email me if u want any pictures. It was very easy, and i didnt permit anything (an electrician checked it over).

Reply to
Al

220 to a treehouse? So much for "roughing it."

Now... when *I* was a kid...

Reply to
HA HA Budys Here

Whereas On 17 Oct 2003 20:04:35 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@netscape.net (Al) scribbled: , I thus relpy:

You ran a ground rod I hope.

Reply to
Gary Tait

Almost nothing easy one wants to do on one's own is 'legal' in the view of municipal codes.

OTOH, it seems reasonable that a "temporary" extension cord arrangement wouldn't be impossible. Check your local codes. Call up somebody in your equivalent of the "Codes & Compliance" office. From a pay phone, of course, so you can't be traced. :-) At least you'll get an idea of what the rules are. It's possible that it'll be simple to comply.

Reply to
Frogleg

My hubby had a "temporary" extension cord from the seawall outlet to the boat. Really neat when the insulation got dinged by lawn care folks and then fell in the water. If the insulation deteriorates, and it is in contact with metal or water, you are asking for trouble. Better safe than sorry :o) Those nasty codes usually have sound reasons behind them.

Reply to
RamblinOn

The feed actually went to the gazeebo, where it pulled 220. The treehouse only pulled 110, aand both panels wer bonded, grounded, and the ground rod is going in as i type. The electrician is doing some odd jobs I dont have time for, and he gave me a deal.

Reply to
Al