A Use for Defunct (small) Propane Tanks

Propane and natural gas run on different pressures. They can be converted back and forth, but it takes some know how.

There should be a test date for the tank, stamped onto the handle. It looks something like 5-02. Month and year. The pressure tests are only good for a couple years. It used to be 12 years. I think? I'm likely mistaken.

The Fed now requires all filling stations to fill only "OPD" tanks, which have a triangular valve handle, and an "overfill protection device". Been required for a couple years.

You can get infared heaters, cook stove, gas grilles, weed burners, etc. Camping supplies, and some gear at

Your biggest challenge is that curbside tanks are usually the old style, and no one wants to refil them.

If you have a waterfront property, you can tie a weight and a long rope, paint the tanks, and use them for water marker buoys. Let the propane out, and then close the valve. Paint them bright colors. You might also be able to use them for flotation to keep your dock afloat.

Probably worth $10 a ton for scrapsteel. Wish I was more optomistic. Sometimes things are in the trash cause they are not worth anthing.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I got a whole bunch of the older style tanks, and get more every week. I got a 500 gallon propane tank in my yard, and I am looking into the necessary adaptors to fill these tanks. Just because the companies that fill them are not allowed to refill them, dont mean I can fill my own tanks. This whole thing was just another conspiracy to sell more tanks and make someone rich. Same old story !!!! I used the old style tanks for years and years and never had any trouble with them. It's mostly the insurance companies that forced the change, so they can keep collecting money and never have to pay. These are the same insurance companies who are ruining many other factors in our lives, all in the name of safety, which has gone to such extremes that pretty soon no one will be able to do anything.

Reply to
spamfree

No, they do not. At least 12 states have not yet adopted the regulations. I still get mine filled in CT.

snipped-for-privacy@snet.net

Edwin Pawlowski

AFAIK, they can fill propane tanks with the old CGA 510 non-OPD valve if the capacity is over 40 pounds. There should be no problem with a 500 gallon tank. (I thought those *big* tanks used a different fill valve anyway.)

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

how about one of those tanks that is twice the size of the little one.. i bought one years ago for a steam cleaner and would like to have it refilled sometime?? can they refill them?????

Reply to
jim

In 40-ton lots, at dockside.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Probably not -- that sounds like a 40. I think you'll have to get the valve changed on it. But it doesn't hurt anything to try...

Best regards, Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

You missed my point. I CAN get my 500 filled without a problem. and yes, they do use a different fill valve. My point is that as soon as I can find the proper adaptors, I am going to fill all of my old 20lb tanks FROM my 500 gallon tank. It will even be cheaper than having them filled, and because they got the old valves, no one else is allowed to fill them. However, they are MY tanks, and if I want to fill them myself, and for my own use, I will do so, and there isn't a damn thing anyone can do about it.

Anyone know where to get the proper adaptors? (I got the end for the

20lb tanks).
Reply to
spamfree

I think you need more than just the fittings. Propane is pumped under pressure to fill the tanks. I don't know the details, but AFAIK, this is not a simple DIY thing. It is a liquid inside the tank and must be filled off the bottom of the big tank as the top would be a gas. Investigate more before you spend any money. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

The problem is that, in the U.S., fire protection laws are proactive, not reactive. That means laws are made/changed in response to damage/injury/death.

In this case. you can lay the blame on those who fill tanks without allowing room for expansion. This created a situation where, when the propane expanded due to heat, a cloud of gas was released, that, in many cases, exploded, resulting in people being hurt or killed, and buildings being burned.

You don't have to hold a torch to the tank for this to happen. Good 'ol sunshine does it for you.

The industry did not police itself, so Uncle Sam stepped in and did it for them.

Just because you never had a problem does not mean the problem doesn't exist.

Reply to
Retiredff

I refill my small handheld tanks from a 20 lb , i put the pieces- fittings together from Ace. For small tanks maybe Harbor Freight would have them but for a large set up just make your own. May need to have the tank upside down you are filling and it wont fill more than about half full though.

Reply to
m Ransley

In order to fill your small tanks, your 500gal has to have a liquid spigot. My propane provider would not put one on my rental tank, so I bought my own 300gal tank and installed it myself......Paul

Reply to
PJ

I know what you mean about regs. I'm fairly sure it's still physically possible for the home stores to fill the tanks, it's just not legal. Go figure.

Hint: If you put the tank in the freezer, you lower the pressure in the tank, and so the higher temp outdoor propane will flow into the small tank by pressure differential.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Dear Ed, I'm in NY, and silly old me thought it was a national thing. Thank you very much for correctin gme.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

You may have proactive (acting before the fact) and reactive (reacting to the fact) backwards.

My fill station used to use a scale to weigh the tanks. I'm not sure everyone in the nation did.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I got one of those Harbor Freight fill adaptors for hand held tanks a while ago and it worked fine.

But, that was done from the 20 lb BBQ tanks with the "old style" valves. I'm not sure the OPD valves will let you get *all* liquid out of an inverted 20 lb tank. From what little I know of them they have a float to cut off filling at a specific liquid level. I'm thinking that float would "fall down" toward the top of an inverted partially emptied tank and cut off the flow, but perhaps not. Maybe they have a check valve which will let gas or liquid *out* of the tank regardless of the float position.

Anyone know for sure about that feature of OPD valves?

Too be safe, I weighed my hand held tanks with a kitchen scale and made sure not to put in more propane than their rated capacity. I also chilled the little tanks in the kitchen freezer before filling them, to help improve the fill rate.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff