A pinch of sodium bicarbonte or a dollup of vinegar to prevent hotwater pot calcium deposits

I have calcium hard well water (18 ppm I think it was tested at long ago) where I don't want to go through the expense of a softening system so I pour fresh Costco bulk glacial vinegar into the pot once every week or so, and let it sit.

I reuse that coffee-pot vinegar which makes it last about a month or even two months (I don't count it - I just replace when it gets murky), which is cheap enough for me that it's a solution I've been using for years.

However, a friend suggested a dollop of vinegar in the pot while heating the water, or, she suggested a pinch of baking soda.

Anyone used those (or other) solutions and found they work out, long term?

Reply to
Ragnusen Ultred

The vinegar may work as calcium acetate is more soluble but baking soda is a carbonate and should make no difference.

My calcium in well water was borderline and plumber wanted to treat but I declined. Glad I did as I recently found here that ion exchange flushes cannot go to your septic but must go to a separate field.

Reply to
Frank