A/C ODU power during winter

Hi, Our winter is very cold. Should I leave the power to the unit on or turn it off? TIA,

Reply to
Tony Hwang

if it's not a heat pump it won't matter. But why would you turn it off anyway?

Reply to
Steve Barker

Presumably the idea is to save the few cents of power used by the compressor's crankcase heater.

Reply to
Pete C.

Why would the ODU care? It's not a living entity.

Reply to
A. Baum

If it is just an ac then it very well may not matter. Most typical outside ac units do not use any power if the contactor is not engaged.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

Turning it off would save a small ammount of energy for the crankcase heater (typically 54 watts). If you turn it off, please turn the power back on at least a full day before you use the AC, two days is better. Othewise, compressor damage can occur.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

A non living compressor can collect refrigerant in with the oil.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

There better be oil in the refrigerant.

Reply to
A. Baum

i'm sure the installers don't wait two days to fire up a new install.

Reply to
Steve Barker

What is an ODU????

Reply to
hrhofmann

Out Door Unit.

Reply to
A. Baum

I never did. How the hell would you check for leaks/proper operation before you left the job? I sure didn't have the time to come back two days later to fire up a system and my customers wanted their home cooled ASAP.

Reply to
A. Baum

Makes sense, to me. Might be an issue only in cold weather.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Old Dominion University? Olive Drab Uniform? :-)

Reply to
willshak

Our Dying USA ?

Reply to