A/C for my condo

My a/c doesn't get cold since yesterday. And the temp outside is almost

100 degree. It's unbearable. What can I do?

It's a very old a/c. I'm thinking to replace it soon. My condo is 960 sf. How big of an a/c should I get? And what kind of question(s) should I ask and what should I expect them to do.

Thanks very much.

Kim

Reply to
yh2665

Can't see it from here, and you don't give us much to work with. Best suggestion is to ask those you trust for name(s) of contractor(s). Ask what your options are, and get estimates for what it'd cost. Then go with what you feel most comfortable with.

Maybe they can give you tips on other ways to impact energy consumption, too. DAGS on HVAC load calculations.

HTH, J

Reply to
barry

Likely you need one about the same size as the one you had unless it was too big or too small.

Frankly you can's size a A/C or furnace based on just area. To do it right you need to measure all kinds of things like windows type size number and location, insulation, construction etc.

A good contractor will do a calculation that will tell you what you need. If they just say " .. well I would guess you need ..." then you don't want them. You want someone who will evaluate you needs and help you get what you need, just some joker who just want's to sell you whatever is handy and is too lazy to do the calculation or may not even know about it. You want them to check your whole system for possible problems as well and have them all taken care of at one time.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Is your A/C through the wall or is it a window unit?

Reply to
Mikepier

Get at least two (preferably three) contractors out. Schedule them on three different days. When you get the contractor out, if he recommends a new unit, ask him:

1) What side unit do you currently have.

2) What size/brand does he recommend.

3) How much does it cost.

4) Does he have any recent references.

Report that info back here and we can give you opinions.

Reply to
Vic Dura

Hi yh2665, hope you are having a nice day

On 04-Jul-05 At About 21:21:45, yh2665 wrote to All Subject: A/C for my condo

y> From: "yh2665"

y> My a/c doesn't get cold since yesterday. And the temp outside is y> almost 100 degree. It's unbearable. What can I do?

y> It's a very old a/c. I'm thinking to replace it soon. My condo is y> 960 sf. How big of an a/c should I get? And what kind of y> question(s) should I ask and what should I expect them to do.

y> Thanks very much.

The first thing to do is get it checked. it could be a simple fix.

-=> HvacTech2

Reply to
HvacTech2

I had a similar moment years ago. Had a wall AC in the back of my shop. Called around, and found an AC guy to come out. We took it apart, and he serviced it. Clean it, check the freon, etc. And it worked nicely after that.

I'd suggest to call a HVAC service company to come out and check your AC. Might be a lot cheaper than a new one.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

It's through the wall. I live in the unit upstair and the unit in set on the ground.

Thanks.

Kim

Reply to
yh2665

An A/C man came and he didn't do any measurement at all.

He looked at the A/C unit and said "it's too old, you just waste your money if you have it service and will not last long".

He told me I need to buy a 2.5 tons, 12 seers (don't know all that stuffs), and it'll cost between $1,200 and $1,400 depend on the brand. If I want RUDD brand, then it will cost around $1,250.

Someone had said the a/c needs to match with the air handler (probably the heater, I supposed) but the a/c man didn't say anything about it.

I didn't have to pay him because his ad says "free estimate". I'll call another a/c man just to get another estimate.

I don't know will I ever find someone who would measure windows type size, location, insulation, construction etc...

I know I need to get it either fixed or replaced because I have been staying at the motel for the last two nights.

Thanks for all your help.

Kim

Reply to
yh2665

What is the size of the old unit? If it's 10% or more different from the 2.5 tons he is proposing, you need to ask him why.

Yes, get at least one and preferably two more free estimates.

Was the capacity of the old unit adequate? If so, then the same capacity will work fine. You really don't need a new energy calc. unless the old unit was way to large or too small.

Reply to
Vic Dura

I tend to recommend a capacity audit. Many if not most systems are not properly sized and the people in the home don't really know it. A manual D is also a good idea to verify if that part of the system is what it should be. I can tell you that my home (new 12 years ago) would likely satisfy most people as OK, but it really needs some re-work. I am just waiting for the right opportunity to upgrade re-size and replace the marginal contractor's special I have.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Sounds abou tright to replace the outdoor unit.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Incidentally, that's called a "split system".

Through the wall is kinda like a window AC, but vents only in and out the back.

Learning moment.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon