A/C compressor sometimes does not start, need a kick

first try a new start capacitor

it's cheap (about $10)

Reply to
papaya

I have an A/C that sometimes (rarely) fails to start. I learned that what cures it is going outside and giving it a slight, loving kick. Then it starts.

It seems like a simple problem, maybe a solenoid getting stuck or some such. Any thoughts?

Ignoramus23077

"Carolina Breeze HVAC"

Second that. I had to do some "kicking" to get my blower fan started.

Where do you get a contactor for that price? I'm serious.

Wanted to replace a badly corroded relay (contactor) for the furnace-a/c blower and local place quoted $42. It's a Lennox furnace, but I asked for generic, which the young lady had no idea about. Rating: 24V Coil, Contacts 1.4 HP @ 240V

I ended up cleaning the contacts and it works fine, but it's corroded in general, so a new one may not be a bad idea.

Rich

Reply to
RichK

A few-dirty contactor points, flaky compressor overload

Reply to
Rick

Carolina, can you please explain in a little mroe detail, I do not understand what you are suggesting.

Ignoramus9394

He's suggesting replacing the 220V contactor (relay) in the condensing unit. Energized by 24VAC from the thermostat...

Reply to
Rick

Thanks. I will try checking it out soon.

Ignoramus9394

message

Maybe a little "thermostat roulette" and cleaning them without throwing the disconnect :)

Reply to
Rick

try ebay, that's not a huge amp rating...

yesterday I bought a 50 A, 3 pole contactor with 110v coil for $3, at a junk yard. And the contactor is working fine in my phase converter that I built yesterday.

Ignoramus9394

There is no stuck solenoid, that was BAD guess. Stormin sometimes posts to hear himself post. You either have a sticking contactor, pitted contacts on the contactor, a loose electrical connection, or a high or low pressure switch or other safety switch not making good contact.

hvacrmedic

Reply to
RP

You're probably right. Good guess.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

thanks, I will try to check it. Resolving intermittent problems is always a hassle and guesswork.

Ignoramus9394

LOL..yea, ok...that aint it and I cant see it from here.

BTW, wholesale on a GOOD 5-35-370 cap is over $25. Replace that $14 contactor thats got pitted points first.

Reply to
Carolina Breeze HVAC

Or at least remove the mashed ants from the contactor points...:)

Reply to
Carolina Breeze HVAC

Johnstone supply....sometimes they have 10 packs of Funas brand contactors for the incredible price of $5 each. lol

Reply to
Carolina Breeze HVAC

Mistaken, its on the outside..LOL

Stormin is a hack, period. Granted, hes persistant, but his advice over the years has been dangerous at best, and for the most part, people that have a clue, and want to have their item running correctly ignore him. Im states that require a licence, he would have been stripped of it some time ago. Here, at best, he would be a class H felon.

Checking a contactor takes about 20 seconds total and thats including to see if the oxidation on the points is such to prevent proper contact. You either have bad contact, or you have a bad slide on the unit, so replace it and be done with it.

Reply to
Carolina Breeze HVAC

The contactor is a solenoid actuated relay, but we don't say "stuck solenoid" we say "stuck contactor". "Solenoid" when used by itself is taken to mean "solenoid valve".

hvacrmedic

Reply to
RP

Well, the contactor has a solenoid inside, am I mistaken?

Ignoramus27279

Oh, I see. I meant the solenoid actuated contactor. Thank you for correcting my terminology.

Ignoramus27279

Thats ok Chris, you havent made it as a locksmith or AC tech.

Reply to
Carolina Breeze HVAC