50 tools everyone should own

Now that we have a nice big list of small tools (as opposed to full size drill presses and lathes etc. ) we should have a well made tool cabinet/chest to keep them all in a good place.

And since you are no doubt going to make a mess, a shop vacuum.

And of course we need a good variety of glues and epoxies to hold stuff together and a bunch C-clamps to hold the project until the glue dries.

Charlie ( now where did I put that ...?)

Reply to
Charlie

I use mine a couple of times a year for tree trimming. For a small branch or two, faster than getting out the chain saw.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

The big one is great for water filters.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Heh, they have many more applications. I keep a small one in the kitchen for bottles and jars. I frequently use one for repairs/adjustments to the sprinkler pipes. I've removed a stuck filter from a camera lens with a strap wrench. Removed escutcheons from the shower faucets. And that's just this afternoon... okay I'm kiddin' but I do use mine very frequently.

Reply to
Malcolm Hoar

"The Ranger" wrote in news:rM- dnYmx6av_FGbUnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@posted.rawbandwidth:

I used one just today to cut a few branches off a tree. Used it a few times altrady this year. You can whack off a 2x4 with one too vs getting the circular saw out for a piece ot two.

Reply to
Red Green

I find mine to be almost useless, for anything except dried out dead branches. It is sharp and well-waxed, but still binds up in green wood at less than blade depth. I don't have enough land to justify a real chain saw, but the toy electric one I bought for 15 bucks at a garage sale has come in very handy. McCullough, I think. Suppose I need to get a file and jig to touch it up, once it gets a few more hours on it.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

Mike, a coping saw is for coping a joint, the power miter is NOT a substitute, it is an alternative way of making an inside corner joint. Most carpenters would agree that the coped joint is superior. There is a replacement coping shoe available for most commercial jig saws that can be a power replacement for the coping saw.

I do agree that I would rather have a power miter box than a hand box and coping saw for a whole house of trim.

Reply to
DanG

Hard to replace if you want to make classic quality inside corners when installing trim.

Reply to
George