$5,000 for installation of Trane 15i A/C? Reasonable?

Ya right. You should never need to add refigerent! Leaks do happen but not often. I find far more misdiagnosed over charged systems then I do leaks.

by an additional 65% in January of 2010...thats only

R-22 equipment. Maybe you should do a little homework

Funny I just picked up a white jug of refrigerant last week. LOL

Reply to
Danny G.

What was your source?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I've got a couple of the old 12 oz cans of R-12. Figured I ought to sell them off. Well, they are going about $20 a can on Ebay, so maybe the market isn't quite right. It appears that the outlawing R-12 didn't remove it from the marketplace.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Since when has outlawing *anything* actually eliminated it?

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

Lets look at a couple examples. Outlawing murder.... did that help? Washington DC and New York City outlawed private citizen poesession of handguns. Did that help? Nationwide, the US outlawed cocaine, heroin, crack cocaine. Did that help?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

So your point is that outlawing stupidity would not help you in the least then?

Reply to
Al Moran

So, if the condenser ALONE sells for $2200.00 you f****ng two snappaheads install the thing for $2500.00

Nice.

Reply to
She-Hate-Me

You can still buy it there is just no demand.

For example: United Refrigeration

Danny G.

Or wait until they have R-410B and then you'll really get f***ed. Let's face it you have to have PLANNED obsolescence in products or we'd all be out of work. Yeah I know the "new" refrigerant is good for the environment.......the PAYCHECK environment. Xeno

Reply to
Xeno Chauvin

Wrong. My unit is a 13 SEER.

Reply to
James "Cubby" Culbertson

got model numbers?? BTW...what you gonna do for warranty repairs when the installer goes belly up working for free??

Reply to
Noon-Air

I thought that warranty is offered by manufacturers and warranty work can be done by any authorized reps. Am I mistaken?

Ignoramus3077

Was Chicken Little mistaken ?

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT

Just sometin I got going at present.. a nagging issue where a certain individual wants to always push the installing of a complete new system...

And so he goes on and on about non-existant warranty issues, the possible un-availability of gas...

Remind you of anyone here ???

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT

"PrecisionMachinisT" wrote

That, I can't answer, but I do have an inside source that tells me he's pretty sure that Humpty Dumpty was pushed.....

Reply to
Bob_Loblaw

Sure. RCBA048 Coil. RAND048JAZ 4 ton, 13 SEER condenser.

I hardly believe they'll be going belly up any time soon. They've been in business here for over 35 years. (or is it 40. Don't remember but either way they are one of the most respected outfits here in town). Just what sort of labor rates are you using anyway?

Reply to
James "Cubby" Culbertson

There was a hurricane last year in his area....very easy to get good fortune mixed up with business savvy.

That and with his apparently always pressuring folks about the possible unavailability of 22 gas or a drop-in by say the year 2015 or somesuch, then appears he's maybe currently selling them things like hotcakes.

( Prolly still mostly if not all items sold are still running r-22.)

--Don't like it all then suggest start your own f****ng hvac business.

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT

OK.... you did get bent over.....

13 SEER condenser with a 10 SEER coil... the coil should have been an RCHJ-48A2 or an RCFJ-AU4821AC to actually get 13 SEER

My labor rates have not changed in almost 2 years, but your right, I do need to raise my rates due to the rising costs of parts, materials. fuel, insurance, utilities, groceries, etc.

Reply to
Noon-Air

When are you going to go away?

Reply to
Al Moran

I don't have the expansion valve numbers handy but what I do remember is the combination gave me a SEER between 12-14. I haven't gotten my first electric bill yet so time will tell. All I know is the system works great and I didn't get bent over. Either way, the parts are relatively the same price wise (certainly not thousands apart) so I still think $6-7k is still too much. Keep in mind I did my own electrical....which knocked off $500.

Reply to
James "Cubby" Culbertson