$5,000 for installation of Trane 15i A/C? Reasonable?

Our contractor quoted us $5,000 for installation of Trane 15i air conditioner. That includes both inside as well as outside unit.

Is that reasonable?

Ignoramus1064

Wasn't a bad cap? Blown compressor? Does the Trane 15i have the protective devices your previous unit seems to have lacked like the short cycle timer and high pressure switch?

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

wasn't

yes

I asked this question, he answered that yes, it had overloads. As part of the job, he will also install a new thermostat unit that does have a 5 minute delay built in.

Ignoramus1064

Sounds a bit high. When my boss and I put in a system it runs about 2

1/2 grand, not 5 grand. Of course, nothing costs as much as a trane.
Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Define "reasonable". Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

Not exceeding what other good contractors would charge, by too much.

As an aside, I have to say that I like our A/C guy, he seems to be actually honest. I had an issue 2 years ago where I knew what was bad (speed control board). One contractor came and BSed me how he "diagnosed" that all boards need to be replaced. He did not get hired. This one identified the issue and fixed only what needed fixing.

So, I would pay him slightly more than the competitive amount, but would not want to be taken to cleaners.

Ignoramus1064

That depends on where you are and how much work needs to be done on your particular house.( Are they running new supply "lines"?) Why not call other companies for competitive bids on similar products? I'm in Houston and $5000. doesn't sound like "a lot". I recently had to replace the condenser/compressor unit (outside) for $1800 which was the middle of the three bids I got. McM

Reply to
Xeno Chauvin

As a previous poster said, prices vary from one area to another. Also, depends on the size-- a 5 ton is going to be a lot more than a 2. I have seen no mention of size in your posts. FWIW, ALL compressors in ALL units have overload protection. They are built into the compressor (inside the shell), so they may not show up on a wiring diagram. Eons ago, some compressors on residential sized units had external overloads, but all have been internal for many years. They will open not only when the current draw exceeds it's rating, but also if the compressor overheats, regardless of the amp draw. For a top quality install of condensing unit, furnace and evaporator (or air handler depending on what you have), everything done according to code, with proper permits and inspections, the price sounds from reasonable to VERY reasonable, depending on size, and where you are located. Also. ask your contractor about a 10 year part and labor warranty available from Trane. Good luck Larry

Reply to
lp13-30

Too damn cheap.... what corners is he cutting to be able to do it so cheap?? Bet its not the new R-410a refrigerant either.... in a couple of years, when you need some more R-22, get ready to get f***ed hard as its phased out.

Reply to
Noon-Air

Yes but then we all know how much of a f***in idiot you and your "boss" are. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

4 ton, IIRC. (I am a little mystified by those "tons")

Yes, this includes a full 10 year warranty, parts, labor and freon.

Ignoramus1064

Um, what is the difference, thanks

Ignoramus1064

The difference is that R-22 is going away.... the production will be cut back by an additional 65% in January of 2010...thats only 3 1/2 years away. At the same time. the manufactures will stop making *all* R-22 equipment. Maybe you should do a little homework on the EPA and DOE websites.

Reply to
Noon-Air

There are a number of factors which will drive costs. Which refrigerant are you going with? R22 will be cheaper but there's a fear that you won't be able to service your units in a few years as production of said refrigerant and equipment will cease. I dunno, I can still get parts for my 67 Ford Mustang just fine so it's not a real worry for me. The newer refrigerant units (R-410 I believe) will cost more but supposedly will last longer (ie. production of). That being said, all the guys that came out to give me quotes seemed to think the R-410 was over hyped, under tested, and not worth the extra expense. Time will tell. When the company did mine, they had to run new supply lines through the ductwork under the house (concrete slab), remove the old Evap. cooler, modify the furnace, and do all the hookups. Mine's a 4 ton unit Rheem. Cost ended up being about $3400 however, I did all the electrical myself which saved about $500 off the bid price. I got 3 quotes. The other 2 were: $6500 and $10000. Both had the electrical in them. I'd definitely recommend getting as many quotes as reasonable to narrow the price down. Good luck. Cheers, cc

Reply to
James "Cubby" Culbertson

No it isn't. Suckers will just pay more.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Yeah right.... and R-12 didn't go away in cars either

Reply to
Noon-Air

It was replaced with r134a...

Curious, has anyone mentioned r417a lately ???

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT

Yup... and that was all before the first of this year.... what you didn't bother to tell the guy was the efficiencies of the systems in the other bids. Paying $3400 for a 4 ton Rheem system *installed*, had to be for a 10 SEER system, or your installer got it out the back door of a supply house. In case you didn't bother to look, January 28 2006 the minimum efficiency got jacked up to 13 SEER.

FYI a 4 ton 13 SEER heat pump and air handler, *installed* runs in the neighborhood of $6,000 - $7,000.

Reply to
Noon-Air

No, it didn't. I still use it. Glut of it these days, in fact, compared to the 90s.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

its all politics. R22 is being artificially pushed higher to make R410A more attractive. Supply has very little to do with it, as major industrial players have extensive stockpiles. Increasingly, most all manufacturers are moving to all 410A in package 3 phase.

If R22 leaks out of my system, I merely add R22 gas. If R410A leaks out of Nooner's system, to do it right, he has to recover the remainder in his system and then recharge. I can buy alot of gas at his labor rates.

hey you guys hear about all the leaking 410A coils lately?

heard thru the grapevine important people are starting to take notice of the hundreds of 1000's of R22 commercial & resi units replaced every year but not corresponding R22 recovery.

Reply to
gofish