4 cycle engine

18 hp Briggs & Stratton, 2 cylinder. There is gas in the crankcase oil, and also oil coming out of the driver's side exhaust port.

I pulled the cover that exposes the valve springs and both valves seem to be moving correctly, but I haven't pulled the head to see if the valves are closing completely yet.

Any ideas/suggestions?

Reply to
Floating Mind

First choice followed by (if used) pinhole in fuel pump diaphragm...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

First thing came to mind was leaky float needle int he carb. Liquid gas going into the piston, and past th e rings.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

On 1/17/2005 11:19 AM US(ET), Floating Mind took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

Check the piston rings while you are in there.

Reply to
willshak

Your carb float or float seat is not closing off the gas. Do you leave the carb gas valve open? You may have alot of gas in the motor and cilinders. Drain oil, put in new oil , remove plugs and crank to see if gas comes out. Probably the carburator causing it.

Reply to
m Ransley

Thanks for your suggestions! I'll investigate the fuel pump & carb before I do anything with the head.

Reply to
Floating Mind

BTW, it can be a stuck float or a float w/ either a hole in it or if not a hollow style gas-logged one so it doesn't shut off....check the float before dismantling the seat/needle valves, etc.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Good idea to get tanked (gassed) before you go for a head job.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I dought it has a fuel pump, check the float

Reply to
m Ransley

Before I check the valves, I would look at the drivers side cylinder and rings. Oil is keep separate in the crankcase. Within the cylinder only fuel, air and exhaust are ever present. The Valve's stem does extend from the crankcase so checking the valves is not totlally out of the question. I'd have to say there is a more likely chance of cylinder wearing than the higher pressure blowthrough zone within the valve chambers. Fuel passes the screens in the carbs reducing debris intrusion although is still possible, now however, if an air filter is compromised, cylinder damage on some level is more likely. SO keep them filters clean and your engines will have a longer running life. Also change the oil as often as you can, every 5 hours of run time if the environmental conditions are anywhere near harse.

Good luck with getting it back in order. Oftentimes damage on this level reduces the engine's value by 90% or more. replacing 1 worn part while not replacing another doesn't make a good fit or match due to the un-even wear and tear of part's hours of runtime. just keep your fingers crossed when investigating it out.

L8s cylinder walls and chomp at cyclinder rings ultimately resulting in oil throughout the remainder of the engine.

Reply to
<cmply