32"x32" shower ideas

I'm putting in a downstairs bath and have just enough room for a small shower. If I use an standard 3 wall unit it will only be 32" x 32". I guess I can get a couple more inches if I tile it. I haven't ever done this kind of tiling before, just floors. Is it worth it? What exactly do a do about the floor? The builder will be framing it up and putting in the backer board and I guess the tub on the floor, I will be responsible for the rest. Any advice or other ideas would be appreciated.

-Jim

Reply to
jtpr

Is there a window in the room? If not, expect more mildew. I'd go with the surface that's easiest to clean, which would NOT be tiles.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Mud set shower pan. It's what I did for a non-standard shower size. It's a lot of work and research, but the end result was worth it for me. With good tile, it's beautiful.

?t=192275
Bob

Reply to
Bob F

You really only have 3 methods, in order of ease/expertise of installation:

1) 3 wall and floor fiberglass drop-in unit 2) Fiberglass (or prefab terra) pan with tiled walls 3) Mudded pan with tiled walls

If you do #3 get an expert who has done them before, there are a lot of details and if any one of them is missed you can get a leak through the membrane. Must build a mortar curb/bed, install membrane without nail holes, set drain bulkhead, ensure weep holes, another mortar bed, then tile, it takes real talent to do properly.

If you are only looking to get a few more inches of length or width with either #1 or #2 it's usually not worth it unless you are moving up to the next standard-sized pan, custom sized shower pans (fiberglass or other) are very expensive and require months of lead time. With #2 you can maybe get a 32x36, 32x48, 34x48, 36x48 etc standard pan, apply plastic sheething, durock, set the pan, then tile down to the top of the pan (not over the lip), caulk and grout, the drain is usually a rubber grommet that hugs the 2 inch pipe, pretty simple. #1 is the easiest of all.

Reply to
RickH

I had a custom marble unit made. Not inexpensive. The floor pan was set in and three wall panels were installed , then a door. The marble is the epoxy type. The panels are only about 1/4 inches or so thick.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery