31 Things You'll Never Hear a Texan Say...

...A most xxcellent explanation has been snipped...>

Mr. G:

A very wise man named Re "God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; courage to change the things I can; and wisdom to know the difference."

I suggest that you follow my lead and accept the fact that these 2 gentlemen are not going to listen to reason.

This wisdom will "earn" you some serenity. ;-) ========================================================== I remember a long time ago, when I was a "cub" reporter, an interviewee called my editor to complain about an article I had written. I always taped my interviews (with permission) so that I could get the quotes exactly right and this gentlemen complained, when quoted verbatim "That's what I SAID buy it's not what I MEANT!"

Once you encounter that kind of behavior, it's hard to be shocked any further. All I can do is present the facts as I know them. Since I got a

780 on my GRE verbal exam, I feel pretty confident that I'm right about the definition of accounting terms as they've been used for centuries. I'll admit, I make plenty of mistakes, but confusing "saving money" with "earning money" isn't one of them. I've suffered through too many economics, bookkeeping, accounting and business process reengineering classes to entertain redefinition of terms that are absolutely standardized in labor law, accounting, bookkeeping and taxation.

BTW, I prefer this version: Lord, Grant Me The Serenity To Accept The Things I Can Not Change, The Courage To Change The Things I Can, And The Wisdom To Hide The Bodies Of Those I Had To Kill Because They Pissed Me Off So Damn Much.

The truth is that I just don't get peeved enough to care. I rarely engage in more than a couple of rounds of debate because by then you've either convinced someone they've erred or they've convinced you that "face" is so important to them they can never admit to an error. Those types of people often end up telling the story of their web duel to one of their knowledgeable friends who will then tell them "ah, you were mistaken."

Now I have to sign off to write a new brochure to sell on the web:

"Mowing Your Way To Millions!"

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

Since you got a 780, you probably could have found a version of the serenity prayer that didn't Capitalize Each Word, Which Is Improper Usage. It makes the reader think that each word is its own sentence. Makes it dificult to read.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

I bow down to your godly self belief.

Reply to
BobR

Oh, gracious. I've totally messed up. That's awful.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Never argued about savings/earnings definitions. Except to say earnings = (income - expense). Never got my panties in a wad because BobR said he made $35. Accept the above formula or not. Doesn't matter regarding net worth.

But at least somebody finally admitted that expense decreases net worth. Like pulling teeth here. Now do as I said and cancel your lawn service expense, as BobR did. If all else stays equal, and you have an income stream, as most everybody has, what happens to your net worth in 6 months? You don't have to reply. Everybody already knows the answer. Except for one other person now. You'll find no flaw in plus and minus.

BTW, I read your entire post, giving it respect, and responded to many points you made, But except for the above it was all irrelevant to what BobR and I said about coming out ahead by doing some work instead of paying somebody else. So I just deleted it. Even my Navy story about what we called slush funds. The important part is above, your admission that expense decreases net worth. Glad at least one of you is honest enough to admit that. Now do the exercise I gave with your lawn mowing costs to find the increase.

Given your obvious spirit, I don't expect you to be humbled by your admission that you've seen the light. You'll shake it off. But to aid you in that direction I'll note here my correcting response to your point about others only agreeing with you two. Nobody has agreed with you two. Nobody much gives a shit about this. Until your admission above, everybody but two people knew that cutting expense will increase net worth, all else equal. One was you, and now there's only one who thinks otherwise. So it's me, you, BobR and everybody else against the holdout. It's your task now to convince him. I'm a bit fatigued from taking you down. Beware of his razzle-dazzle footwork. Beware of him tossing lawn mowing indigents in your path. Just be patient until he is flat-footed, then throw a left uppercut plus, followed by a right cross minus. He'll crumple to the mat. Just as you did when you came off your toes above. Unless he does this:

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

Ask Me If I REALLY Care What A Top Poster Thinks About My Posting Choices . . . (-:

It apparently makes *one* reader think each word is its own sentence. That might not be something I would expect people to confess to as it might reflect poorly on their reading skills and their inability to recognize "title case."

I'm Surprised You Would Think These Words Are Sentences When They Are Clearly Absent A Period Indicating The End Of A Sentence. Even. Using. A. Period. After. Each. Word. Would. Not. Be. Really. DiFficult. To. Deal. With! People tend to read in word groups and not single letters or words. Some writers, like ee cummings, are known for their odd "case" work:

Buffalo Bill's defunct who used to ride a watersmooth-silver stallion and break onetwothreefourfive pigeonsjustlikethat Jesus

he was a handsome man and what i want to know is how do you like your blueeyed boy Mister Death

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green