30pt vs. 45 pt dehumidifier - does it matter which I buy if I'm going to hook it up to a hose?

I'm going to by a Haier dehumidifier this weekend and I'm going to let it drain into my sump pump. Can I get away with purchasing the smaller less expensive 30pt model if it's going to drain automatically or does the 30pt actually pertain to how much moisture it can remove from the air in 24 hours. Forgive me, I know nothing about dehumidifiers and haven't found too many authoritative sites on the web.

Reply to
Joe

It's the latter - buy the biggest one you can afford.

Reply to
Seth Goodman

Check the nameplate current ratings. if they are the same, the smaller reservoir unit will work just as well connecte to a sump. If the current draw is larger on the other model it will be a better choice because it will produce more condensate. HTH

Joe

Reply to
Joe

It is the moisture per day. The smaller one may work but will run longer to remove the same amount of moisture, up the the maximum per day. If you are removing 20 pints per day, either one will have the capacity.

A second factor is the fan. The larger one should have a bit more air circulation thus making the room a bit more even.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

For my 600sq ft basement that is tight and dry a 65pt is to big it cycles often which increases unit wear. You really want the smallest unit for the job so it cycles less, but basement size, dampness and air infiltration need to be figured in.

Reply to
ransley

Exactly. Humidifiers are essentially airconditioners that leave the air the same temp. They use electricity to run the copmpressor and when you cycle the compressor you use the most electricity. They are the most efficient when they run the longest while still keeping up with the humidity in the air.

It can take weeks to suck out the moisture that's built up in the furnishings, walls and flooring...

-- "Tell me what I should do, Annie." "Stay. Here. Forever." - Life On Mars

Reply to
Rick Blaine