3-way switch

I suppose the electritian who wired that was trying to use the minimum amount of wire (although he still used 2-conductor Romex when only one wire is being used).

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Probably didn't have any 14/3 with him at the time. Easier to use two 14/2 cables -- but you can still wire a Code-compliant 3-way installation with two

14/2s. He was either stupid, lazy, or both.
Reply to
Doug Miller

Yes. I don't know which since I didn't live around here at the time this house built (and would have had no idea I was going to buy this one anyway). Also, there is NO "/3" cable anywhere.

I did have the house inspected. The inspector missed that, although he did look in the attic and saw a soldered and taped connection not in a junction box (This connects to a receptacle for the garage door opener). The tape is not the kind that comes off in a couple of years.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

The one time I saw this connection it was with knob and tube (in a house I lived in when I was a kid). Because it was K&T it would be very hard to change.

I believe this circuit was never code compliant in the era of even early forms of Romex. Real early day of K&T I am not certain - anyone know for sure? (I don't think it ever was either.)

If a replacement switch is miswired, in one position it will connect hot and neutral.

-- bud--

Reply to
bud--