20 HP Kohler Spring Cleaning

I left gas in my 20 HP Kohler mill engine all winter. Now it starts when I spray Quickstart (ether?) down the throat but won't suck gas or? I tried to clean all accessible pasageways with a needle and will try to spray compressed air in the throat to duplicate the problem. I notice a small black cylinder with a wire near the carb base. Could this be a problem?

Thanks

Reply to
Red Ryder

yes, why not take the carb off and bring it to a small engine/lawnmower shop and let them clean it out before you ruin it... shoving a needle down any hole in it might just ruin it and the replacement if available might cost alot... the correct way is got have a repair kit available and then the whole carb. apart and then soak it(all the metal parts minus any rubber parts ) in a carb. cleaning solution overnight.. then in the morning you remove it and spray compressed air into it....to clear the passages.....if you have to shove anything into a hole, then use a nylon fiber from a broom or such.. something that will move the gum/varnish deposits but not mess up the metal inside the carb.. if you dont have the diagram then you dont know what is back there shoving a pin in it....

Reply to
jim

I WOUld get a can of WD 40 and spray in the hose where the fuel intake normally connects. Let it sit for a few minutes and give it a new shot at starting. Next time drain the gas and spray a little oil where the spark plug goes in.

Reply to
Art