20 amp circuit/14-2 wire?

This is Turtle.

You need to follow the conversation better and you will see my responce was not to the O.P. er. Too small of wire is in it'self WRONG to do but there is no wrong when a home owner does it for in Louisiana No inspector or government agency can say a word to him if he does it hisself and does not have a FOR HIRE person do it. FOR HIRE people get burned at the stake for this.

And Yes, Hap your still a troll.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

This is Turtle.

Yes I will have to say I'm sorry for making a blanket statement on this but I was think a little local code enforcement here in Louisiana. The point i was making was the NEC is a code and not a law everywhere. The NEC is a code and if a state or city wants to make it a law. they can but it will come from the state or city laws to enforce it and there is nobody with NEC on their shirt will be in the group enforcing it. Also your waisting you time explaining the NEC code to me for I have to follow it to the letter for I'm ''For Hire'' and everytime i have to run a circuit for the hvac business I have to check it out in the Ugly Book first and then if need be the NEC. And yes a 14/2 wire on a 20 amp circuit or breaker is a no no.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

This is Turtle.

You don't read well for the word on the law were in respect to a home owner doing the wiring and not a person for hire doing it.

Now i can't disagree with you on Louisiana being screwed up on Codes and regulation of this nature for Louisiana's codes and regulations are about 20 years behind the other states. Let me give you one. Here in the town I live in just about 5 years ago issued electric licences to the electricians working in this city and before this time there was NONE. For referrence here. Oakdale , Louisiana 71463 and a POP. of 9K .

Also you show good promise in being a Troll. Have you tried it yet?

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

This is Turtle.

I don't know about that. We have some of the best idiots on the earth and hold good jobs in the state government here. He might fit right in there.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

This is Turtle.

I toally agree with you on this but Louisiana Home Owners can do what they want. Someday they will get around to making the NEC a regulation to follow by home owner but for not they do as they please. We are kind of backwards here.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

Sorry Turtle, it's you who could use a little bringing up to speed. Your reply was incorrect, no matter who it was directed to.

You're well aware the codes, and the code applicability in your own little corner of the 3rd rock from the sun are an exception, not the rule.

And you've been here long enough to know that when a homeowner asks a group what is correct and what is not, they're looking for the right way to do things, or the better way to do things, not whether they can get away (legally or otherwise) with some slipshod installation.

That's not saying much, considering the source.

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Reply to
HaHaHa

Fine. You are aware that there is more to the world than Louisiana, right?

It is the law in a lot of places. The point I was making is that you were acting like it's not the law anywhere, and that's just not so. Glad you realize that now.

Thank you. That is what I've been trying to tell you...

Reply to
Doug Miller

So what? Unless the OP lives in Louisiana, that makes no difference. In a lot of places, homeowners can *not* do whatever they want.

And I'll bet that's not true everywhere in Louisiana, either. I don't know one way or the other, but I'll bet that your bigger cities have adopted the NEC, or something similar, as law, and homeowners there are legally required to follow it.

Reply to
Doug Miller

"Doug Miller" wrote in message news:v_Jmd.29678$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com...

This is Turtle.

There one point here that will make Louisiana different from any other state of the Union. Louisiana has Nepolianic Law which is left over from when it was owned by other countrys and was bought by the U.S.A. All the other states adopted the Common Wealth Law which is normal to most but Louisiana stuck with Nepolianic Law which is deferrent form any other state. There was all kind of laws passed and enforce as to homes, land , and personal property but Louisiana still has Nepolianic Law which states that a owner of a home or where he lives at can do what he wants with the house or land that he lives at. Now for the city of New Orleans there is very stiff regulations of the NEC code and you follow the letter of the NEC to the Tee. In a city like this with heavy regulations on everything there, It still says by Nepolianic Law that a home owner can do what he wants with his house as he pleases. The only way this regulation will come into play is the home owner calls a craftman of some trade to do the work. If so the state and parish regulation go into play. The Craftman and the home owner both agreed to abide by the NEC code and regulation when this happens. The seperating point between the Code and regulation is the hiring of anybody to work at your home. If you hire a kid down the block to come help you. Your hiring a '' for hire worker '' and come under the NEC and regulations. It's hard to get by the regulations in Louisiana but it can be done.

The only way a home owner can do any electric work and not be covered by the NEC and regulations is He himself alone does the work and has NOBODY for hire on his land at the time of the work. There was a fellow in New Orleans that did some electric work on his house and was reported to the city inspector. They could say a word to him but he messed up. He installed a bunch of new circuits for a back room and when he called a sheet rock fellow over to redo the walls that he had messed up where he put new receptical in at. This brought in the NEC and regulations for he had FOR HIRE people working on the job. He then had to get a licenced Electrician to redo the mess up's and get the city permitts for the work.

Now here is a good one for you when you have Nepolianic law in a state. There is a state law still on the books that states that if you sell a item to a person and the estimated life of the item is 20 years. You will warrent it for 20 years. A example of this is If I sell a HVAC system to a home owner and the estimated life of the HVAC system is 17 years [ State Farm states Estimated life of a hvac system is 17 years ] I will by Nepolianic Law will have to warrant it for 17 years. I will have to repair it, Make good on it, or Give them their money back. I know of nobody ever using this law but it is sitting there on the books.

I again Totally agree with you that the NEC regulation should be followed to the Letter but there is exceptions in different places of the country.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE