18"-24" nail peg / stake

I need a few (5-6) "stakes" to be used with a strip of wire or plastic mesh (hardware cloth) to create a barrier or backstop at the edge of my lawn to keep golf balls from rolling off the lawn and into the shrubbery.

My plan is to cut some hardware cloth into strips that are at least

8-10" wide and then find some long thin stakes to secure it in the lawn.

I located a suitable mesh at a local hardware store. It comes in a 5' x 3' roll. I'd like to cut it half, lengthwise, leaving two 5' x 18" strips. Now I need stakes that are long enough to weave through the mesh and go a few inches into the ground. If the screen is 18" tall, the stakes would have to be about 24" long.

I can find lots of thin stakes like this

they are only 6" long and I sure don't need titanium. ;-)

These are more like what I was looking for

they only come in a box of 75. :-(

These look almost perfect and they come in 18", 24", and 36" lengths.

are 3/4" thick, which will make it difficult to thread through my

1/2" mesh. Would I need some sort of cap?

The local hardware store has steel rods in various lengths. If I can't find anything better, I could buy several rods, cut them to length, try to grind a point on one end, and look for some sort of cap for the other.

Any better suggestions?

Reply to
Square Peg

Wood stakes and a staple gun? Metal stakes and some baling wire?

24" lengths of rebar and baling wire?
Reply to
Bob F

1) No weaving. Attach the whatevers to the mess with electrical wire ties, the most miraculous invention ever. 2) Steel rods sound good, but don't bother grinding points on one end. Just bang them into the ground with a rock, hammer, whatever.
Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Go to the BORG and look in the landscape section. I bought and still use some plant stakes there. They are about the diameter of a 16 D (1/8" +-) nail and about 18-20 " long with a loop on one end. They were not expensive.

Second option is to buy a small quantity of bare copper wire and make you own. Copper is a little pricey right now.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

That's my next stop.

That sounds like what I need.

These stakes

are just what I am looking for, but would like them much longer.

These stakes

are another option or I could make something like it with steel rods.

Reply to
Square Peg

One of mine still has a tag on it Panacea 28" plant support Made in China. I image they came from Lowes, might have been Wal-Mart. Here Google found you a picture:

Search term used= Panacea 28" plant support

Happy shopping

Reply to
Colbyt

That's perfect. If they don't have it at the Borg, I'll order it online.

Now that I know what to search for ('plant stake'), there are a number of options:

Thanks.

Reply to
Square Peg

JUST SO YOU DON'T MISS IT! REBAR!

That's your neatest, lowest cost option. Every box store has 3/8" rebar. IIRC, it comes in 5' pieces and a simple cut with your hack saw gives you 2 perfect rods for project. Weave it or wire it, it will last a long, long time.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

On Thu, 23 Apr 2009 10:59:59 -0400, "Colbyt" wrote Re Re: 18"-24" nail peg / stake:

Use 1/4" rebar cut to desired lenght. Fasten mesh to rebar with wire.

Reply to
Caesar Romano

Agree. The BORG has rebar cut in several lengths and they have a flat stake used in framing driveways for concrete. The flat one has holes for nails / wire , etc...

Look in the construction section.

Reply to
Oren

ground rod, or rebar. cut to length and point on your bench grinder.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Did you have NASA help you design this project? Waaaaayyyy over-engineered :o) Buy some 1/2" wood dowel. Cut it to desired length. Paint it, two coats. Buy a length of green (or desired color) canvas. Find someone who has a sewing machine. Sew pockets onto the canvas so the dowels will slip into the pockets (closed at the top) much like a curtain, only sideways. Your barrier is done.

Buy some pvc, cut lengths to whatever depth you want your stakes to go. Put a cap on the bottom end of each and pound them into the ground. When you are ready to golf, take said barrier and drop the stakes into the pvc pipes. Ready to go.

Reply to
norminn

Are you kidding. I'm not using any transceivers, microprocessors, sensors, gyros, ceramic heat tiles, or rocket fuel.

Anything worth doing is worth over-doing.

Nice. But what about the rocket fuel?

I assume you intend that I cut the PVC flush with the ground, right? Otherwise, I'd never get it past SWMBO. Even with it flush, I'll get static.

But do I even need 'em? 1/4" dowels sharpened at one end should go into the dirt no problem. And since they are in pockets, I can replace any that break or splinter.

I think I'll get canvas that twice as wide as I need and double it over. Then each pocket is just two lines sewn about .5" apart. They can be as close together as needed. They can be removed for storage.

Nice idea. Thanks.

PS: You work for NASA, right?

Reply to
Square Peg

Here are the results:

At OSH, I found green rods about 3' x 1/4" that I thought were hard plastic, but turned out to have a metal core, which I discovered when trying to sharpen one end. ;-) They worked OK.

I also bought some dowels, but never tried them as the green rods worked and, being green, were less offensive to SWMBO. (I know, paint.)

Then I found that, as you suggested, the Borg had green plant stakes with a loop on one end in lengths up to abotu 3'. These are all metal and painted green. They are about half the thickness of the other rods, so go into the ground much easier.

They are easy to thread through the hardware cloth mesh.

Problem solved. Thanks.

Reply to
Square Peg

Thanks for the follow-up post. Some reader will appreciate that in the future.

Reply to
Colbyt