15 or 20 Amp

In that case, the motor is designed to run at the lower voltage you get from the voltage drop of long cord. (maybe it's a 105V motor)

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

You are probably right. Doesn't do too much good for the other appliances on the circuit tho.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

A vacuum cleaner motor is not a good example if you want to commplain about voltage drop since they are AC/DC "universal" brush motors that will accept a large swing in voltage with speed being the only penalty. The cord length is selected by the manufacturter as part of the listed assembly tho and I doubt you will see a 50 footer.

BTW I am the guy who wanted the 20a so stop beating me up here.

Reply to
Greg

True legally but not practically. Any design for home use has to assume variances in voltage well beyond the 0.6V range, so such a modification would certainly not exceed the design specifications.

Brian ( snipped-for-privacy@precidia.com )

------------------------------------------------------------------------------- DEFN: Computer - A device designed to speed and automate errors.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ( Couldn't verify my signature? Use

)

Reply to
Brian White

It occurred to me later that this is incorrect. Power _is_ pushed from the supply (with a force of approximately 120V). It's how well the load resists this push that determines how much current it will pass. Open air resists it very well; copper wire does not.

Voltage is a potential energy, much like (to use a frequent analogy) a lake at the top of a waterfall. As it falls, the potential is converted to heat, motion, whatever by the mechanisim through which the current passes.

Brian ( snipped-for-privacy@precidia.com )

------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Making a living is not the same as making a life.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ( Couldn't verify my signature? Use

)

Reply to
Brian White

Regardless of personally lax attitudes about it, ANY modifications violate the listing, and for practical purposes, makes all previous testing and measurement completely worthless. Legal? If there is a fire or accident involving the altered device, expect the lawyers and insurance companies to focus all their attentions and energy on the fact it was modiffied, regardles if the modification actually played any part whatsoever.

BB

Reply to
BinaryBillTheSailor

That's what I said. It's true legally, but not practically. Perhaps you should read what I wrote instead of just flaming.

Brian ( snipped-for-privacy@precidia.com )

------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tired of spam? See what you can do to fight it at:

( Couldn't verify my signature? Use
)

Reply to
Brian White

Losing insurance coverage by doing something stupid doesn't strike me as being very practical. Your estimate of a .6v difference could be correct or it could be very far off. You haven't taken a long list of variables into consideration.

BB

Reply to
BinaryBillTheSailor

When it comes to the law, there's very little "practical" about it. It's about image and what you can convince others of. FUD is far more effective than truth.

If you think my 0.6V estimate is off, please provide the variables you mention and how they effect the calculation. I'm always interested in learning new things and I assume others on this group are, too. Spread facts, not FUD.

Brian ( snipped-for-privacy@precidia.com )

------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Leave it to the computer industry to shorten "Year 2000" to "Y2K". It's that sort of thinking that led to the problem in the first place.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ( Couldn't verify my signature? Use

)

Reply to
Brian White

Here an illustration of the effectiveness of FUD:

or:

Best regards, Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

Is there any difference between copper, silver, aluminum, and steel, as far as conductivity and electrical properties? You seem to think they are all the same.

BB

Reply to
BinaryBillTheSailor