120v 20 Amp to 220v circuit 20 Amp

Correct.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

It is allowed, but not easy to do. I'd pull the existing wires and add another rather for a new pull than try to get a fish line down the conduit and pull back another single. There is probably 2 or 3 bends in the conduit from source to termination.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I'd first try using one of the existing wires to pull two new ones through. Nothing to lose by trying. I think Clare suggested that.

As so often happens, interesting that the OP has never been heard from again.

Reply to
trader_4

Thousands of illegals running around the US and no one seems to care.  Do they pay taxes?  Nope.  Do they pay their medical bills? Nope.

So why worry about silly electrical code wire colors?

Reply to
Marius Josipovic

I have seen that debated and concluded both ways. The prevailing view is usually along the lines of "why wasn't it done right in the first place?". I am not sure but, within a conduit, it might be "hold your nose" legal to pull another conductor to supplement a cable. Just don't count on every AHJ agreeing because the code seems to assume cables are the "wiring method" when they are used and the only thing you can add to supplement a cable is an EGC. (ground). That is a limited exception.

Reply to
gfretwell

Why not just try to push in another wire or suck a string through? YMMV but it avoids ending up with an extra piece of wire you don't need.

Reply to
gfretwell

You could try. If you want to save on wire, you could also pull one wire out, attach a string and then use it to pull that wire plus a new wire back in. That just seems easier and more likely to work to me than trying to get a fourth wire in where there are three already. The OP probably just bought a 120V pump by now. :) Which raises the question of why he needs to add 240V to begin with.

Reply to
trader_4

Is the OP an illegal? If so, you are right, he can do what he pleases, ignore the law. Only citizens have to follow the laws. If you are an illegal the Democrats will protect you, harbor you so the code inspector can't find you.

Reply to
trader_4

Have you ever tried it???? Blowing or sucking a string through an empty conduit is pretty simple. Doing it in a conduit with several conductors already run through it is a horse of an ENTIRELY different colour!!! As for PUSHING a wire through??????? Antything more than a few feet is virtually impossible. To add another wire there are 2 basic choices. Use one to pull in 2 and waste one, or retract the entire bundle, using iT to pull in a pull cord, then add a 4th conductor and pull the whole works back in. The latter is quite possibly the simplest and avoids wasting one wire run. The conduit SHOULD have had a "pull string" pulled in with the conductors to enable pulling another conductor (along with a new pull string) but you don't see that done NEARLY as commonly as you should -

- -

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Maybe because an illegal in California picking grapes is not going to electrocute anyone in my jurisdiction.

Reply to
gfretwell

Yes many times. Three #12s in a 3/4 is virtually empty. I sucked a string through a 2" with four 1/0s in it and pulled 2 wires back. When I was rewiring a box I had out in the yard to light the Ed Labrador Memorial Bridge I got two #12s in a half inch that already had three 12s in it. That was tougher tho. It took 2 of us.

When you are sucking a string in you really don't need a mouse. Just start the string and keep feeding it until you get enough in the pipe to have the vacuum start pulling it. It is worth using real Jet Line and not just any old string you can find. It is slicker. A good substitute is that white plastic line they give you to tie stuff on your car at Home Depot.

Reply to
gfretwell

One more thing many 220v 1 ph motors can be wired to run on 110 volts

Reply to
Mark
[snip]

If power is the same, current would have to double.

Reply to
Sam E

But if he wires this motor as a 110 v ( depending if it is possible with this motor ) then he is changing a 110 motor for a 110 motor and nothing changes as long as the motor is the same HP and even then he has a 20 amp circuit.

Reply to
Mark

Better you all should join the modern world where it's 120 and 240 across the US and has been for many decades.

Reply to
trader_4

My dad said 110 and 220 as it probably was when he lerned electricity. I often say the same thing as I heard it so much from him.

Another newer one is Hertz (Hz) insted of cycles which is really cycles per second. I ofte use either of those also.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Closer to 115 and 230 in many areas.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Not most places in the US. My fairly new Whirlpool fridge gets pretty cranky at 110v. It really likes 120. My line voltage cruises around 123 most of the time tho.

Reply to
gfretwell

Is that single-phase or two-phase?

Reply to
André-Marie Ampère

Chicago runs in the 125 volt range center tap single phase

Reply to
Mark