10 Tools every kid should master

From the editors of Popular Mechanics:

What tool would you add to the list?

Reply to
HeyBub

I would delete one. Chain saw? *Every* kid should *master* chain saw? Husqvarna must've paid good money to slip that one in!

Reply to
passerby

Combination square, tape measure, hand plane (start w/ simple block plane) for starters.

Reply to
dpb

"HeyBub" wrote in news:auedndMk- tZO2QDMnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

I'd *delete* all three power saws, and add:

- tape measure

- automobile jack & lug wrench

- hand plane

- sharpening stone

- sandpaper

- files & rasps

Reply to
Doug Miller

Butterknife. How else would you tighten a screw?

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Stupidest list I've seen in awhile.

On what planet does a utility knife qualify as a pocket knife? Why "needle nose" pliers? Most ppl have no clue what electronics are. Why a circular saw if one has a hand saw? A ladder? A soldering iron? A....?? forget it! This is list of 10 things MI wishes you'd buy from their advertisers. Nothing more.

nb

Reply to
notbob

Surprised they don't have an AK47 on the list it being the USA. Which is just advertising s**te BTW.

Reply to
harry

Considering all the dumb tools in that list, I can't help wondering why they completely ignored tools that I find I use all the time:

[image:

  1. a digital multimeter

[image:

  1. a digital caliper

[image:
  1. a screw thread gauge
[image:
._SY300_.jpg]
  1. a 30 power magnification jeweller's loupe, which amongst other things allows you to check the sharpness and condition of your cutting tools and drill bits just by looking at them.

  1. a pair of locking pliers which in my view is what a kid needs to fix his bike more than needle nose pliers. This site limits the number of images in any post to 4, so I took out the locking pliers because everyone knows what they look like.

Magazines like Popular Mechanics pay freelance writers to write articles for publication, and the tools in this article were just whatever some guy happened to think of in five minutes worth of thinking. But, I agree the chain saw is a stupid idea. I can see more ways a kid could hurt himself with a chain saw than I can see reasons why a kid would ever need to use a chain saw. And, I can see lots of reasons why any kid might need to use any of the five tools I've suggested in this post.

Reply to
nestork

Exactly, magazines like that are a total waste of time for that reason.

It is like asking "what is the best flavor of ice cream?". Totally pointless and useless.

Reply to
George

Dear Wilma, Betty said rocks were OK in her house. Barney hasn't had any trouble. Fred.

LOL! I still vote for 'rock' It's a tool I've used many a time outside. However, not so much inside, as the Ms. has put restrictions on that.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon
  1. Cap, that goes on the end of the tooth paste tube.
  2. Book to read, to stay occupied in idle moments
  3. Handrail, while going up and down stairs
  4. Toothbrush, so you don't stink so much
  5. Trashcan, location for empty food containers, not the refrig
  6. Towel for wiping up messes
  7. light switch / turn off
  8. close the damn door
  9. rotary dial phone
  10. flush toilet

Butterknife. How else would you tighten a screw?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Of course he's not thinking. If he were he'd have put an AR at the top of the list. An AK is just a nice-to-have tool.

Reply to
krw

I'd remove circular saw and chain saw. It didn't include any screw drivers so those should be added. It also didn't include any form of wrench, so at teh very least it should have a crescent wrench. And I'd be included to take out ladder and include a set of socket wrenches and or open/closed end combo wrenches.

Overall I'd say the article was written by an idiot who perhaps got a BS in communication and knows little or nothing about really using tools beyond assembling some IKEA furniture.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Clever !!

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

click=pp#slide-1>

The ages are kind of silly. My 4 y/o grandson is using my cordless drill and my drill press, with lots of help and close supervision (like my hands on his) from grandpa. My 6 y/o grandson uses a tape measure just fine. They both use my block plane.

My 40 y/o daughter asked me to come change a tire. I pulled up next to her, got out of my car, leaned on my fender, and said "First, you take out the jack..."

-- Doug

-- Doug

Reply to
Douglas Johnson

Pencil and paper.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Absolutely correct. Including mastery of the three R's, common sense & good judgment.

Knowing a bunch of useful knots is also nice! :)

Erik

Reply to
Erik

Exactly. Everyone knows it is vanilla so asking is silly.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

+1
Reply to