when should i use crabgrass preventer in northeast?

i live in rhode island and last year crabgrass took over about a 1/3 of my lawn. i have seen so many different times to put down crabgrass preventer my head is spinning. what is the best time?

thanks

Reply to
dooo42

While the forsythia is in bloom.

Reply to
Steveo

That's my advice too but along my asphalt drive, which gets quite warm, crabgrass seed will sprout earlier so you might treat such areas a little sooner.

Frank

Reply to
Frank

Hi Frank

True, he could do it tomorrow for that matter. Does he have a soil thermometer handy? :) The forsythia in n ohio is barely leafing out as of today.

It's one of those rule of thumbs that follows the soil temperature. If the OP uses dimension it probably isn't even worth talking about.

Reply to
Steveo

Winter annual?

Reply to
Steveo

If you don't trust the Forsythia being early enough, try Witch-hazel [1]. It blooms a earlier than Forsythia. [2] ;)

[1] (Hamamelis) If you don't know what it looks like, pop it in your favorite search engine. It's a cool effin' bloom, and smells awsome. It's very short-lived, though. But, you should have room in your yard for it. Depending on where you live, it can be a better indicator than Forsythia (which I go by), as to when to apply pre-emergent. [2] Has been blooming profusely now, for about 10 days (that I've seen), in and around StL.
Reply to
Eggs Zachtly

If you don't trust the Forsythia being early enough, try Witch-hazel [1]. It blooms earlier than Forsythia. [2] ;)

[1] (Hamamelis) If you don't know what it looks like, pop it in your favorite search engine. It's a cool effin' bloom, and smells awsome. It's very short-lived, though. But, you should have room in your yard for it. Depending on where you live, it can be a better indicator than Forsythia (which I go by), as to when to apply pre-emergent. [2] Has been blooming profusely now, for about 10 days (that I've seen), in and around StL.
Reply to
Eggs Zachtly

Forsythia??

Oh, you mean Witch-hazel? It's a shrub/small tree. =)

I meant the Forsythia has been blooming now for about that time. =)

Reply to
Eggs Zachtly

Yeah, you're quite a bit south of me. It's just starting to bud out from dormancy up here.

Reply to
Steveo

You up by THE Ohio State University? =)

Reply to
Eggs Zachtly

Not too far away..roughly 150 miles north of there.

Go Buckeyes! :D

Reply to
Steveo

Medina Ohio.

Nah it's all good man, and like you said that football pasting still leaves a bad taste. Gawd knows I'm a glutton for punishment being a Cleveland sports fan. I'm liking the Indians for 88-90 wins this season tho, so at least I have that going for me. Oh and king James on the court.

Onward thru the fog and don't change a thing if it's working.

Reply to
Steveo
[snip]
[snip]

[snip]

That's good, you were probably tired of Zone 5 winters --

Reply to
JimR

5a? 5b?

Were you affected by the new zone changes? [1]

Nah. My Super, and the irrigation tech are both alumns. After the football fiasco, they ain't tallkin shit about the games AT ALL. lol

I was rootin' for SIUC, but they *had* Kansas and just blew it. =( Now, I'm kinda hoping for a Gator/Buc trimuph, HEH.

Sorry, =P

[1] "They" have us as a solid zone 6 now, but I'm not changing my planting habits for a couple years, I think. Some of the changes were quite drastic, and I'm not buying into it fully, just yet. Who knows? Maybe they're right. *shrug* Time'll tell. =)
Reply to
Eggs Zachtly

It snowed more here, this winter, than it has in a LONG time. heh

Reply to
Eggs Zachtly

Although forsythia in my garden is not blooming yet, they are in full bloom along the highway (Interstate-80). I think the other newsgroup member's idea of soil becoming warm sooner along the roadway than elsewhere is quite true. Seem like this is a good idea to apply crabgrass preventer along the driveway and roadway right now at least in my area, and then apply it to the rest of the lawn when I see forsythia in my garden in full bloom.

Jay Chan

Reply to
Jay Chan

I don't know where you live, but that's especially true with southern exposure, and even more so with a southern slope.

Reply to
Steveo