Shade grass seed. Does it exsist?

I have a part of my lawn underneath a Blue Spruce tree. I want to mix in some new dirt under the tree to counter the damage caused by 40 years of dropped needles, but what do I look for in grass seed that can grow in shade?

Reply to
The Henchman

The Henchman wrote the following:

...and in acidic soil, you mean.

Reply to
willshak

The Henchman wrote the following:

...and in acidic soil, you mean.

------------------

I was going to mix calcium carbonate and starter fertilizer to balance out the acidity, but my concern is finding grass that grows in shade before I do anything.

Without finding a type of grass that can deal with the all day shade it might not be worth the trouble.

Reply to
The Henchman

BTW I live in Zone 5b

Reply to
The Henchman

Fescue.

Do you want the tree, or the grass? P. pungens prefers neutral to slightly acidic (6.1 - 7.5 pH) soil. The grass won't tolerate the acid. It's really that simple.

How can there be any visible grass under the spruce? Did you remove the bottom branches?

Reply to
Eggs Zachtly

The Henchman wrote the following:

It doesn't matter. Cut all the lower branches off the tree to allow sun to get to the ground. Fir trees are the worst kind of tree on a lawn. I have fir tress on two sides of my lawn where nothing grows underneath them. I'd cut them down but they are on my neighbor's property. With all the snow we had this winter and how long it stayed on the ground, the deer ate a lot of the lower branches to where I can now see my neighbor's lawn, so maybe some grass will grow there.

Reply to
willshak

Blue Spruce look rediculous, when limbed up.

It's a Spruce, not a Fir. ;)

Reply to
Eggs Zachtly

I understand that Blue Spruce need acid soil to remain blue.

Reply to
Johnl

Do you want the tree, or the grass? P. pungens prefers neutral to slightly acidic (6.1 - 7.5 pH) soil. The grass won't tolerate the acid. It's really that simple.

How can there be any visible grass under the spruce? Did you remove the bottom branches?

------------------

It's only the second year I've owned this place so still learning my yard.

There was grass under the tree for most of the tree's life but a comb

Reply to
The Henchman

You're wife is to be commended.

The rest of my comment(s) still stand. =)

And, please fix your *cough* newsreader's quoting abilty. I appreciate that you don't top-post (the default for most of M$ crap), but it MUST have the ability to properly quote. I know many people that use WLM as their *cough* newsreader, that format posts properly. Thanks.

Reply to
Eggs Zachtly

As for the basic question as to whether grass seed suited for shade exists, a trip to HD, Lowes, or a garden center will confirm that they do have seed mixtures for shade.

Reply to
trader4

Walmart sells seeds from Pennington, including a mix with a variety of fescues that are touted to grow well in shade. I think that it is called Pennington Dense Shade.

James

Reply to
James