Rosemary in Desert

I live in Southern California. The house I bought had some Rosemary bushes when I bought it, but I can't seem to figure out just how much to water them.

As an FYI, there are only about 3 inches of rain per year here.

Reply to
Simpledog

I'm in the southern portion of central valley... we get 5" a year and horrible temps. Where are you located? East towards the desert? We have temps in 100 for days and all the rosemary bushes around here do great. They do need to be watered though.

I like to water deep and then check the soil. If it's moist, watering can wait. They do like to be hosed off to cool the leaves. I doubt you'll have any problems as long as you don't overwater... good luck

Since it is attractive and tolerates some degree of drought, it is also used in landscaping, especially in areas having a Mediterranean climate. It can in fact die in over-watered soil, but is otherwise quite easy to grow for beginner gardeners. It is very pest-resistant.

Rosemary is easily pruned into shapes and has been used for topiary. When grown in pots, it is best kept trimmed to stop it getting too straggly and unsightly, though when grown in a garden, rosemary can grow quite large and still be attractive.

Reply to
Nicole