Roof Rain Diverters ??

I need a rain diverter to go on my roof over my front door.

I can't find them anywhere !! I have called all of my local roofing supply companies, and none of them stock them. Other building supply places don't have them.

I don't want to cut a piece of tin and stick it up there. Someone makes these products and I believe they are sold locally, as I see them on other houses.

Of course, I have also tried Home Depot and Lowe's, but no luck.

Anyone know of a chain that would sell this product please ??

Thanks for any tips.

--James--

Reply to
James

My house has a section of gutter attached to the roof as a diverter.

Reply to
Chambers

On 6/25/2005 8:08 AM US(ET), James took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

Get a piece of aluminum drip edge and install it upside down.

Reply to
willshak

I know exactly what you are looking for. They may be a field made item.

Here is a link to a drawing online:

might also refine your search by using the term curb instaead of diverter.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

HD in west central Florida stocks them. Maybe your local store can order them?

Reply to
Travis Jordan

> You might also refine your search by using the term curb instaead of > diverter.

To add to my post. Here is the product you are looking for as a ready made:

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

If the local building/lumber supply store does not have it, seek out some

12" rolled flashing. You can cut it to length and width, then bend it as needed to match the pitch of the roof. You'll need a firm straight-edge (2X4 or wider), metal shears, a hammer, and some patience if you've never attempted this before. You'll have plenty of flashing left for all the areas of the roof you want this way.

Slide the result under the shingles. You will have to modify the shingles as they're too long now where they were hanging over the eave above the door. Mark the pitch of the roof, and the plumb line with framing square on a piece of cardboard and cut it out. Use this as a general reference as to when the angle of the flashing is correct while you're pounding on it. The nailing of the flashing should occur under the shingles, otherwise it will leak.

Reply to
Lil' Dave

(from the original post)

I don't want to cut a piece of tin and stick it up there...................................

.
Reply to
James

Look here - whole bunch of relevant information.

Ray

I did the same thing over my Rec Room door (upstairs with a landing).

Puddles

Reply to
puddles

FWIW, of the 50 or so of these that I have installed, I have never bought a product that was specifically called a "Rain diverter". We always use wall angle and install it in the configuration needed to divert the water.

However, we do not buy it from Home Depot. I always get my flashing from our roofing supply, where it is heavier gauge and available in a variety of sizes and finishes.

I usually buy a colored section that is close to the roof color and use that. Try a roofing supply.

Reply to
Robert Allison

I just put a piece of galvanized sheet metal on the roof about 3 shingles op from the edge of the roof. I bent a 2" wide 90 degree in a

6" wide piece of metal 4 feet long. slid it under the shingles, no nails. I used some clear silicone to hold it in place. When we replaced the roof years later, we had gutters installed.

Stretch

Reply to
Stretch

(from the original post)

I don't want to cut a piece of tin and stick it up there...................................

.

James

How about having a heating contractor make you something nice out of duct metal? Some of those people are real artists with tin snips and benders. Then, sand it, clean the hell out of it, go get some Rustoleum primer & spray paint, and make it whatever color blends in best with your shingles and/or gutter.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

There was a recent episode of "Ask this old House" in which they made a rain diverter (they called it a cricket) out of aluminum drip edging that they painted black to match the shingles. Seemed simple enough

Reply to
Jmagerl

You probably found what you want by now, but I had a similar experience

Employees in stores acted like they didn't know what I was talkin about. I found some web sites that had them. BENDTEK has a copper on for $57!. RAINHANDLER has one for $16. I went to a local metal shop an had one made from galvanized steel for $15. At least I hope that's wha it is as they had some trouble following simple dimensions and it too three tries. I believed it needed to be deep enough to go all the wa up under the shingles past the slots. I attached it with roofin cement. I also didn't want to make one from flashing, but only becaus I knew I couldn't get it straight as I liked

-- Commande

this thread:

Commander