Recommendations on older Troy-built and Crafstmen ChipperVacs and lawn vacs

Hi - I have seen some of those lawn and chipper vacs in Sears and on line and I was wondering how they work?

Almost all the current models seem to have the same size engines as lawnmowers (5.5 and 6.6 HP engines), and some are self-propelled. The engine turns an impeller/shredder in the place of a lawnmower blade in a fan housing, and sucks the leaves and other stuff up through a front-mounted nozel or a hose.

I have seen some of the older models on line and I can't seem to find any info about the older model numbers. The sellers say that the models (5 HP Troy bilt 47291c and 47292) originally sold for well over $1000 (some close to $1500) and they want between $450 and $750 for the used models.

Then I heard that the company that originally made Troy Bilt went bankrupt or sold off the brands years ago and that the newer models aren't made as well as the older models. Is that true - perhaps that is why the older models allegedly sold for more money. But then - are the replacement parts available for these vacs - parts like the vacuu bags?

Anyone have any info on these models?

Reply to
USENET READER

$100 is absolute tops for older shredder. $25 would be what I would pay. They are practically useless. A mower with a bag will chop leaves just as well - and the shredders are useless with sticks of ant substance + they are a lot of work + since they are used infrequently they require a lot of tinkering.

Reply to
Srgnt Billko

Not just an old shredder - I mean an older chipper/shredder/vacuum - one that you can roll around the yard and it will suck up leaves and might even have a hose that you can use to get into tight places.

Chris

Srgnt Billko wrote:

Reply to
USENET READER

Don't get misled by marketing lingo. It won't chip worth a damn - and you can push any bagging mower around to suck up leaves.

message

Reply to
Srgnt Billko