Rebel III Grass?

What is this stuff? Is it going to take over everything, or just all the flower beds? Does it grow fast, slow, or average? Will it only crowd out weeds in the lawn or will it take over other small plants like wildflowers? I have a difficult lawn with greatly varying conditions from nice rich soil next to the woods, and other patches of heavy clay.

Thanks, Tony

Reply to
Tony Miklos

Try google(Rebel III). I noted there is now a Rebel IV.

T> What is this stuff? Is it going to take over everything, or just all

Reply to
Stubby

I googled it before posting and again today. I saw 1 short thread from this group, but most everything else was just selling the stuff, or had something to do with Star Wars! Not much info.

I'll add that I am in Eastern TN, about 1650' elevation sloped and facing almost directly south. (English mountain) I'm zone 6B most places, but I just noticed I'm zoned 7 according to the arborday.org hardiness zone.

Tony

Reply to
Tony Miklos

It's turf type tall fescue.

Reply to
Steveo

So does this mean it may be a problem growing into flower beds or choking out wildflowers?

Tony

Reply to
Tony Miklos

No more so than any other turfgrass, it's not invasive like zoysia or bent.

Reply to
Steveo

Zoysia is invasive, but in a glacially slow kind of way.

I bet the spread rate is 6" a year, maybe. Not like bermuda, which will spread 2x or 3x as fast...

Reply to
Kyle Boatright

Has anyone tried any of the new Rhizomatous Tall Fescue cultivars now on the market. How do they compare to normal tall fesque?

dickm

Reply to
dicko

But...tall fescue is MUCH less invasive than either of those, Kyle. So no worries if that was his concern, right?

Reply to
Steveo

It has a thinner blade and darker color for starters.

Reply to
Steveo

Absolutely correct. Fescue doesn't spread...

Reply to
Kyle Boatright

I've been overseeding and patching with Tall Fescue for about 5 years. It seems to work very well. I don't have a problem with it invading the flower gardens. Also, it has remained green during the hot summers here in New England.

Reply to
Stubby

I have to disagree on that one. The reference of the question is the new types of tall fescue that do have the capability to spread by rhizome. So, of course they are capable of expanding into flower beds, etc, because that is precisely what they were developed to do. The advantage is that now you have a TF that will fill in bar spots, as opposed to remaining a clump grass.

So, if the OP is concerned about grass spreading and likes tall fescue, he should just use one of the other turf types tall fescues, which won;t spread, and that;s like 98% of them.

Of course, a better question is what exactly is the OP trying to do? Is it full sun, shade, overseed, new lawn etc.

Reply to
trader4

Reply to
John Crichton