Rear Tine Garden Tillers

Anybody got any recommendations for a really good rear tine garden tiller? This would be used to break up new ground and incorporate mulch and stuff before planting next spring. I saw some MDT and Troy built over the weekend at Lowe's and Home Depot. They were 6 & 6.5 horsepower and went for around $600. I was looking to price a Honda 8 horsepower like I'd rented earlier this spring at Home Depot. They showed it's retail price as being $2,300. I thought it was a good tiller but is it that much better?

TIA.

John

Reply to
JB

How much ground are we talking about here ? If it's just a hundred square feet anything would do. If it's a big garden I think you will work your ass off trying to break new ground with a $600 tiller especially if it's sod. Check the weights - the heavier the better for breaking new ground. As far as "incorporating mulch" - I prefer a forward tine over a reverse tine. Can't you find something between 600 and 2300 ? Maybe you want to continue to rent the heavy one to break ground and buy the small one to maintain it.

Reply to
Srgnt Billko