Question about lawn tractor tires

My tractor originally came with 15x6.00-6 and 20x10.00-8 tires. Can I use a different size tire on the original wheel. Say a 15x5.00-6 on the front for example?

Reply to
poison_1024

Probably depends on two things.

  1. You can not use a tire with a different rim size. It must fit the rim.
  2. As far as the sidewall hieght and tread, it depends on the clearance available.

Why not ask the manufacturer and / or a tire dealership?

Reply to
Bob

The last digit is the rim size, As long as that number is the same a in your example they will go right on. The 15X5.00-6 is a skinner tir but same height

-- restrorob

Reply to
restrorob

Yes

Reply to
Srgnt Billko

lol

Reply to
Steveo

So the first number is the total diameter of the tire end to end, the second number is the width and the third number is the rim diameter? What unit of measure do they use for the width? Thanks for your reply.

What I'm looking to do is have my "lawn and turf tires" and then another set of "super bite" tires. I've never tried changing either of these tires sizes but I do have a full size Coats RC15A industrial tire changer.

Reply to
poison_1024

I'm trying to but Carlise Tire Company does not have a single phone number listed on their webpage. In terms of a tire dealership - nobody around where I am located is going to have and lawn tractor tires except the John Deere dealership which is not the greatest for getting info from.

Reply to
poison_1024

No. The first number is the diameter of the rim (20"). The second number is the width of the rim (10"). The third number is the tire section height (the width of the tire sidewall between the tire bead and tread). So, a 20x10.00-8 tire would be 36" high (20" + (2 x 8")) by 10" wide.

| 10" | ______ ___ ____ / \ | | | 8" | |______| ___ | \ / | | | | |____| 20" 36" | | | | | | /____\ ___ | | | | | | 8" | \______/ ___ __|_

Reply to
Willshak

That is flat out wrong.

With lawn & garden tires the last number is _always_ the rim diameter. A

20 x 10 - 8 is going to be 20" high, 10" wide on an 8" rim.

There are 2 methods of measuring tires. One of which, commonly used on small tires - the 1st number is the tire section height and the second number is the width. 4.10 x 3.50 - 5 is an example of this method. The other method is when the 1st number is the entire height of the tire such as the op has. Again the last number is _always_ the rim diameter.

Reply to
Art

Yes the 15 x 5.00 -6 will work but it will be about 1" narrower. That might cause some rutting when turning if the front end is heavy. If you already have these tires then they will probably be just fine. If you haven't bought them yet, I would suggest that you stay with the original size. You could get them here

about $19.00 each which is a pretty good price.

Reply to
Art

Thanks for that clarification on tire size (and correcting the other poster.) Yes, I've been looking at the Carlise tires but what I need is more of a winter tire (I can't use chains.) They have a snow-hog tire but the closest size is 15x5-6 (instead of 15x6-6) for the front tires. So I think I will go with those. For the rear they don't have a "snow tire" to fit the 20x10-8 but they have the "super lug" style which is one of their "big biters" but I'm not sure how they are in snow vs dirt.

summer I'm going to try the Carlise Turf Master they look nice:

poison_1024