New Mower

Just bought a new mower from Sears with a 6.5 HP Brigss & Stratton engine. It has an automatic prime on it. Mistake on my part, I think. Since I cannot prime the engine with the old bulb type primer, I have to pull the cord about 15 times to get it start. My arm is killing me.......!!!!!

Even though brand new, can I change out the auto prime and put the old bulb primer in? Or am I doing something wrong?

TIA for any hints. gjt

Reply to
gjt

I'd take it back. Surely they aren't all like this or they would be out of the mower business. I have scaled one back a few generations by changing out the entire carb. I have a DR mower that came with the primer bulb and it just never started or worked well. I went to a "little guy" mower shop and he sold me an old choke type carb for peanuts. I actually like the mower now, choke it, it starts back off the throttle a little and run it till it runs out of gas or you are done, which ever comes first. It will start on the second tank of gas now, which it would never do before.

Reply to
Eric in North Texas