mower start

I have a Scotts lawnmower with a Briggs & Stratton 6HP engine. I bought it several yrs. ago. I drain the gas tank every fall and change the oil before every season. Also, I install a new spark plug every other year (this year included).

Usually it's hard starting on the first mowing every year; after that, however, it starts damn near every time on the first pull.

Now -- beginning halfway through this summer -- it has taken on the habit of not wanting to start when the engine is hot. It still starts on the first pull when it's cold. But every time I stop to empty the grasscatcher, I can't restart. I have to wait 15 or more minutes until the engine cools. Molto aggravating! Takes way longer to mow the lawn, now.

Question: What in the world makes the engine *not* want to start after it's been running awhile?

--My Aching Back

Reply to
pipe

Andy comments: I suspect that it has more to do with the "way" you stop the engine. The stopping procedure may, for instance, be flooding the engine and making it necessary to clear out the excess fuel, or unfoul the plug..... Maybe a couple of experiments in "stopping", such as stopping by grounding the plug, pulling the choke, reducing the speed to idle before stopping.... etc... I don't know if this is the problem or not, but it only takes a few experiments. Please post back here what you find out when you get the problem solved , as I am sure many would like to know the answer...

Andy in Eureka, Texas

Reply to
AndyS