Mower problems

I have a Craftsman mower with a 6.5 hp B&S motor.

It didn't want to start this season. It has good fresh fuel and I tried a new plug. When I pull the cord there is nothing. When I pulled the plug it was wet so I assumed that was the problem. DIdn't help either. I sprayed starting fluid and it fired and ran for a moment until the spray went away. If it was electrical it would not have run. Since it ran on the starter fluid, it must be the carb,,, right? I am assuming that maybe a jet is plugged. Am I heading down he right path?

Thanks

Reply to
dave

If the jet is clogged how did the plug get wet ? Fresh fuel - but did you drain the carb ? Might be water in the carb. You've covered everything else - except maybe the float needle valve is stuck open. And it's getting too much gas. Is there a choke on this thing or is it the kind with the primer bulb ? I've had the little tube to or from the primer bulb crack and break.

Reply to
Srgnt Billko

It has a primer bulb. I can hear the fuel bubble as I push it so I don't think it is bad. I am going to try to pull the carb tomorrow and see what I can find. I hate to give in yet and take it to a shop. Hopefully it is something obvious. (I didn't think about the clogged jet and wet plug. Thanks for throwing that out there)

Reply to
dave

Wet spark plug spells either too much gas, OR, not enough air. Clean and oil the air filter first, then work on the gas thing end if not successful.

Reply to
Dioclese

In the spring time it usually means gas in the carb is so old it won't even burn.

Reply to
Art

Replace the air filter and make sure there are no cracks in the air lines if it has any. Make sure there is no old lawn clipping build up under the mower as some access their air from there.

Reply to
Phulltillt via HomeKB.com

Left the original fuel in my push mower, riding mower, and chain saw. Last used in latter end of October last year. All started fine in early March.

But, I also have experienced the old gas thing while storing an automobile for 6 months or longer at a time. A full tank helps keep the moisture condensation problem down to a minimum. "Dry gas" additive should be used if storing approaching a year. Not related to fuel, but important, always disconnect the battery. Am guessing some this carries over to lawn equipment with gasoline engines as well.

Reply to
Dioclese

I agree. I've never had trouble starting my tractor, chainsaw or stringtrimmer. I believe leaving the gas in the machines keeps the gaskets and diaphragms flexible whereas running it try lets it get hard and crack. Sometimes doing nothing is better than breaking things.

Reply to
Stubby

This, from the same dumbass that doesn't believe in changing the oil.

Reply to
Eggs Zachtly

Seems to imply that someone can't be right about something, if wrong about something else in the same area of general area of discussion. Not logical, seems rather an emmotional response to a prior disagreement. Not healthy.

Reply to
Dioclese

Was the plug wet with gas or water?

Reply to
Claude Hopper (11) 5. ?

One winter does not make gas THAT old. I always start with old gas in the spring.

Reply to
Claude Hopper (11) 5. ?

Assuming the gas was fresh at the end of the season and stored properly then you might be right. However, in real world conditions the gas could very easily have been 6 months old already at the end of the cutting season. Add to that another 5-6 months of improper storage and no stabilizer, during the non-cutting season and you could very well have gas THAT old.

The OP's description is classic "bad gas" symptoms.

  1. It won't start at the beginning of the season.
  2. He said he used fresh gas but didn't mention draining the carb.
  3. It runs with starter fluid (simply replaces the gas) which means the other engine systems are good.
  4. The plug is wet which means the carb is delivering fuel. That points to the fuel not igniting.

The fact that you always start with old gas is totally irrelevant to the problem. By using that logic you could easily dismiss almost every reason it would not start.

Reply to
Art

Sound like your carb needs cleaning out. A compressor is the best too

for the job. You can also leave it in paraffin (kerosene) overnigh (not the rubber seals though)

'dave[_1_ Wrote:

-- Marquis

Reply to
Marquis

If you are careful. I recently cleaned a neighbor's mower carb. It had a small rubber needle valve seat. Didn't know it was in there. Caught just a glimpse of it as it sailed across the yard as I was blowing out the carb. Then it was a trip into town to buy a new one. They don't come separate so I had to buy a needle valve to get the seat. A normal 10 minute job took 2 hours.

Red

Reply to
Red