I Can't turn off my ceiling fan

I have a Hunter-Douglas (Home Depot) ceiling fan in my office.

It has one of those chain "puller" switches to adjust the speed and to turn it on or off. As I was turning on the fan, the chain pulled out and now I can't turn the fan off. HELP!!!!!!!!!

Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Sy

Reply to
<sytech

Take it down and throw it away. Ummmmm, after you turn the wall switch or breaker switch of course.

V v V v V v V v V v V v Actually, you can replace the chain switch. It's easy.

Reply to
GFRfan

No controlling wall switch? Start flipping off circuit breakers until you find the right one.

Reply to
Charlie Bress

Replacement switches are available at any Home Depot.

Reply to
Curmudgeon

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Unfortunately, I receive no money, gifts, discounts or other compensation for all the damn work I do, nor for any of the endorsements or recommendations I make.

Reply to
dr-solo

It's been my experience that mechanical things just work better if you periodically kick the living sh*t out of them. In this case, it may not be practical to kick the offending machine, unless you have a very high kick, or a very low ceiling. My advice would be to jump up and hang onto the damned thing until you and it come crashing to the floor. From there, you can easily get a foot, hand, or sledge hammer on it to reduce it to a multitude of minute pieces, which can then easily be scooped up and placed in the dustbin. Then go out to Wally World and get yourself a $9.99 portable, oscillating fan that will faithfully run longer than your grandchildren will be on this earth. Another chapter in the "Life Sucks When Things Don't Work" book, huh!!! :) Gary

Reply to
Gary

:-) Put your mouth up to it and do the Ahghghghghgh sound into it. You'll get a nice tremolo effect. Reminds me of when I was a kid and made that sound while someone pounded on my back.

Reply to
Jim Carlock

Sounds like you haven't grown up.

Reply to
Douglas E.

Douglas E. wrote: > Sounds like you haven't grown up. >

Who wants to grow up???

Reply to
GFRfan

Not me.

Reply to
Doug G

I prefer pedestal fans too. A ceiling fan feels like a giant lawn mower. :)

Reply to
Pen

I have no idea why, but this reminded me of the *old* Robert Klein skit where he's playing blues harp and singing "I Can't Stop My Leg"

Thanks, :-) Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

LOL.. thanks for the laugh, Gary.. I needed that! server been driving me crazy kicking me off line, not connecting properly or timely, for two weeks now.. at a time when i needed to down load some important (to me) software! and get important info from out of state relatives!. like you say, another chapter! lee h

Reply to
Lee

When you go to Home Depot and buy the replacement fan switch, you're going to notice it has several wires.

They are different colors.

I do not know what colors they are because I am color blind. The result is that my ceiling fan does not go High, then Medium, then Low like most. It goes High, Low, Medium. If you know what the chances are of that combination, you are way too good at math.

PS it is good to turn the power off before changing the switch. Especially if you have kids. When they hear cuss words they repeat them to Mommy. Don't ask me how I know this.

Reply to
TimR
[[ This message was both posted and mailed: see the "To," "Cc," and "Newsgroups" headers for details. ]]

I've made some progress!!!. I was able to attach those other 2 wires to the switch and now I have high, medium, low but no "off". When I "hold" the chain after "low" I can hear the motor stop, but as soon as I let it go it starts to run again.

Any advice?

Reply to
<sytech
[[ This message was both posted and mailed: see the "To," "Cc," and "Newsgroups" headers for details. ]]

In article

I've made some progress!!!. I was able to attach those other 2 wires to the switch and now I have high, medium, low but no "off". When I "hold" the chain after "low" I can hear the motor stop, but as soon as I let it go it starts to run again.

Any advice?

, TimR wrote:

Reply to
<sytech

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (TimR) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

I seriously doubt that the color of the wiring has anything to do with fan speed. The pull chain on a ceiling fan connects to a part called a rheostat which handy people should be able to replace. You can also get a wall switch or a remote control device that has its own rheostat and leave the one on the fan on 'high' (provided the one on the fan isn't busted completely). Now if you get a wall switch or remote control device, the wires will have different colors, white, green or bare copper and probably two more of black, red or blue. By code, the white is always the grounded wire and the green or bare always is the grounding wire. The other two are hot and connect to the fan or light.

no kidding turn off the frickin power at the service entrance before you fool around with electricity. Kids learning to cuss will be the least of your worries.

[rec.gardens]
Reply to
Salty Thumb

No, this is not correct, fan motors with pull chains don't work on a rheostat, or anything similar. Fan switches are multiple position, and one wire at a time is hot. I intended some humor with this reply, but I actually did make that mistake once. When you get a fan apart you'll see lots of wires - mine had four suspended lights plus of course four or so fan wires, it takes care to get them all poked back in.

That mistake I've never made. Don't just turn it off, get a meter and do live/dead/live, and prove it is off. You should not touch a home electrical repair, ever, even the simplest, without a meter. Turning it off isn't good enough. You never know how bad the do-it-yourselfer before you screwed it up, sometimes there's power in surprising places. I got shocked once from a computer chassis, because some moron wired the outlet backwards, and the LAN cable was hot instead of grounded.

Reply to
TimR

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (TimR) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

Sorry, but that sounds ridiculous. I'm not an expert, but I have installed

5 ceiling fans in my life (and installed a couple of them more than once). These were all modern fans, model year 2000 or higher. None of them had any wires other than I mentioned. If your fan switch does indeed have multiple wires, then where do they connect? You have one supply wire for the fan. Connecting your multiple wires to the one supply wire (or the fan motor) is tantamount to having one connection. If you have any splitting, it would be much more economical (and idiot proof for the installer) to have the splitting internal to the control device. I don't suppose the fan you are talking about is a Hunter Original fan?

Good advice, although most of the cheap meters I have seen are only rated for max 10 amps whereas household wiring can carry 15 or 20 amps. You don't need to know how much electricity is flowing, just whether it is on or off, which you can test with a relatively cheap light probe. But when it comes to your life, it pays to be anal.

And how exactly do you do that? I've also assembled my share of computers and what you've typed makes no sense.

Reply to
Salty Thumb

The previous poster was not talking about installing a fan, but replacing the speed switch. Yes there is only one wire to supply power from the house to the fan. But in many fans, there is a speed switch that has one wire that bring electricity in and three that go out. They go to three different windings (coils) in the fan motor itself.

If you are checking VOLTAGE, the number of AMPS running through your meter is close to zero. Yes, I have blown the fuse in my meter once, but it was because I got frustrated and accidently went to check a live circuit with the meter set on resistance (OHMS). It stupidity, not price of the meter, that was at fault.

It makes perfect sense. He is talking about the house receptacle the computer was plugged into. AC current works by one side doing a push/pull cycle of electrons while the other side is grounded. As long a electricty is flowing first one way and then the other at the proper rate, it usually doesnt matter which side is the live one. I knew (not well) a guy who wired in some lights for some illegal plants he was growing ih the basement. He bypassed the electric company's meter (and in the process the breaker panel) to save money. He later went to change a burnt out bulb while standing on a damp cement floor in bare feet. If he hadn't switched the wires, he would be alive today. He had the screw threads of the bulb socket live instead of the little dot in the middle.

Reply to
Michael Lyons