Groundhog/Woodchuck Control

I've got one hanging around. Looks like a squirrel on steroids. Got a
little dog that thinks he's a big dog. He's not seen the GH/WC yet. Our
vet says he'll lose any altercation between the two.
Anyone have any experience with these critters?
TIA
Reply to
JB
Our cat used in the 1970s to fight local groundhogs every spring and always lost, hence big vet bills. Successors kept clear of them, but those animals are a nuisance and I'd happily shoot any found on this newer property.
Reply to
Don Phillipson
Live trap baited with apples. 'Chum' around the outside with cut pieces, put the motherload in the back of the trap.
They will sometimes stand their ground and I myself have been charged, so it's possible they might not run from a small dog (putting it in danger).
Reply to
Pat Kiewicz
I had woodchucks years ago. They would get into my garden and get the tender, green shoots on the new plants. And, they would easily get over a 2' fence. I tried a Wrist Rocket (sling shot), chasing them, but not poisons because there are little kids inthe neighborhood that might decide I was putting out candy. Gopher Gassers started a ground fire that required a call to the fire department. In the end, a battery operated electric fence worked. I strung the wire about 8" off the ground. ALso, I put some fence material in the lawn (horizontal) to thwart them digging under the fence. Putting used kitty litter down their holes helped.
Reply to
Stubby
I use a Hav-a-hart trap baited with peanut butter. Laws vary on trap and release. Here you can trap but not release and can kill animal. Kind of stupid and I release anyway to parkland. Recently learned that it is a good idea to close trap at night as I've also caught raccoons and skunks.
Reply to
Frank
Thanks for the advice. I've got a Hav a Hart trap on the way. I'll post what happens.
Reply to
JB
I have never experienced this ever, if I were you I'd call someone that knows stuff about animals.
Reply to
kczito
It might be a good idea to keep the dog indoors until the creature ravaging your garden is captured and removed.
Romana
Reply to
Mischa Borgnaes
To date I've caught 3 possums and 3 raccoons in a borrowed Hav A Hart trap. No Woodchucks/Groundhogs.
Reply to
JB
Close your trap at night. Groundhogs are diurnal. In my experience, the peak time for trapping them is somewhere between 4 and 5 pm.
Reply to
Pat Kiewicz

Site Timeline Threads