Gasoline Mixture for Weed Whip

Does anyone know the shelf life for the oil/gasoline mixture?

I made a little more than I needed this morning and don't want to dispose of it now.

Will it keep until March?

Many thanks!

Alan

Reply to
A. Pismo Clam

30-60 days. You could go buy some fuel stabilizer or just pour it in you car. That small amount of gas/oil mix diluted in at least a half a tankful of gas and your car will never notice it.
Reply to
Art

Hi Art...

I'd respectfully suggest that I wouldn't be too anxious to put it in mine; risking a few hundred dollars worth of injectors and perhaps even the cat converter isn't worth saving a dollar or two worth of gas/oil :)

But, if the OP is a product of the waste not/want not generation (like me) he might be able to give it away to someone with a two stroke snowmobile/snowblower, or if he's in the warm climes, perhaps one of those rv's that the young folks enjoy :)

Just my one cent worth (hey, waste not want not :)

Take care.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Weitzel

I always have 2 full 2 gal. cans of the mix. Now near end of summer, I've added Stabil (sic) to it and am not running lawn mower dry. Did it last year and mower runs fine. Never had problem with gas/oil over winter. Oxidation is main problem with stability and full sealed cans should last for years. Stability would be much less in a partially filled, plastic container such as the tank of a string trimmer. Also just bought snow thrower. Literature says to either run dry at end of season or add stabilizer. Already do that for gas in generator. I've started to put dates on when cans were filled and will cycle out any more than 2 years old. Frank

Reply to
Frank

Sure.

The oil by itself would keep. The gasoline by itself would keep. The mixture will keep.

I have used 2-stroke fuel mix more than a year old, and it works fine.

Just keep it with a cap on so the gasoline doesn't evaporate.

A. Pismo Clam wrote:

Reply to
ecarecar

Add fuel stabilizer using the mfgs. instructions for the proper amount. I live in a very humid area ( no snow; lots of winter rain) and the 1 gallon amount I use (plus the amount in the small engines) mixed with fuel stabilizer keeps for several months until early spring.

Reply to
evolutionman 2004