Briggs Vanguard Engine Problem

When I plug in the wire connector that goes to the Stator on my 16HP John
Deere Sabre Lawn Tractor, the connector gets real hot to the point of
smoking. It appears there is a diode in the wire right after the connector.
If I leave the plug disconnected, it runs and operates , however, I suspect
the battery will soon go dead. Any ideas on what is wrong or how to fix it?
Replace the diode? new stator?
Thanks,
Reply to
Roanin