Asparagras roots

Received 60 asparagras roots today - let the gardening begin.

Reply to
Srgnt Billko

I think I figgered it out: Sarge is starting a brothel....that's some kind of subliminal advertising yore doing..."chicks" and "roots" and "gardening".

;-)

Reply to
JL

Cool, Sarge. =) How old are they?

Reply to
Eggs Zachtly

The box says 1 yo. Can you trust it ?

Reply to
Srgnt Billko

Give it a few years before you harvest it, then. The plant needs those spears to open into little "ferns", for the following year's growth.

What variety? =)

Reply to
Eggs Zachtly

On new transplants we don't pick at all the first year - and just 2 weeks the 2nd - and 3 weeks the 3rd.

Reply to
Srgnt Billko

Now that requires willpower.

Reply to
Art

If you want spears, it's a requirement. The third year, the crowns are fully established, and begin producing like mad. You can buy two and three year old crowns, hence my question. =)

Reply to
Eggs Zachtly

Ahh. Good deal, Sarge. What variety of asparagus did you plant?

I received all of my seeds yesterday. I'm still about 13 days from my tgt date. We're still hitting right at freezing at night, here. Still, the soil in the raised beds is warming up nicely. I may get in a couple days early.

*shrug*

The waiting sux, heh.

Reply to
Eggs Zachtly

These are the old standard Martha Washington - really hadn't thought about experimenting with any of the others. Now I'm shopping for rhubarb.

Reply to
Srgnt Billko