Latest threads in Backyard Gardenersshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Shadberry trees
are blooming on my property - the shad must be running.

can i lay turf topsoil on sharp sand
I wonder if someone could give me some advice please? I bought a hom recently and it had the whole front garden slabbed which i promptly du up. I laid a nice new path and i want to lay turf at either...
3
3

Tractor report
It's that time of the year to get equipment running that has sat all winter. Got the #2 70's Cub Cadet started without much trouble today. The previous owner had rigged it up to run on a car battery....
1
1

controlling annual bluegrass
Is there a selective herbicide that controls annual bluegrass growing in perenial bluegrass?
7
7

Mobile Hose Reels
Does anyone have any experience or comments to offer on mobile garden hose reels? From a Google search, I found two companies that make what look like good quality carts, South West Reel and Eley Corp...

Does sod "wear out"?
Hello: When I moved into my house about 20 years, I had it sodded. Over the last 4 or 5 years, I have noticed that it was getting thinner and thinner, now there are some fairly large areas that are...
5
5

what type of natural vines to cover fence?
I have a 5 foot high chain link fence that I would like to plant some kind of ivy or something that will grow up the fence and give me some privacy, I would like it to stay green for as long as...
4
4

Weeds - Dandelions - I am concerned
I applied some weed killer the other day, and indeed the dandelions seem to be in their death throes. I don't understand though. I think I read somewhere that the way these weed killers work is they...
6
6

Sponges used to cover drain holes
I am currently using pieces of sponge to cover the drain holes in my plant containers and it that OK?

Sears repair parts not available
In the good ol' days, Sears guaranteed repair parts would always be available. I bought a lawn tractor, mowing deck and grass catcher and need some parts. The part numbers are listed as "no longer...
5
5

Sealing Flagstone Patio
I've got a flagstone patio that's looking kind if drab. I was told that a good power wash and sealer would make it look much better. Anyone have any experience in sealing flagstone? Any products to...

which is first - weed & feed or lime?
Hello, I live in western New York State. My forsythia just began to bloom. I am trying to rejuvenate my huge lawn. It's in very bad shape with countless weeds of every variety, much moss and bare...
3
3

compost
I have acompost bin, and I want to speed things slong. I was thinking of a commercial accelerant, but would rather use something cheeper, besides the usual kitchen waste. Any tips? Aldo should I put...
4
4

which comes first, Scotts Turfbuilder or lime?
Hello, I live in western New York State. My forsythia just began to bloom. I am trying to rejuvenate my huge lawn. It's in very bad shape with countless weeds of every variety, much moss and bare...

Black & Decker Electric Hedge Trimmer: Opinions On ?
Hi, This isn't, probably, the best group for this question, but I figured you guys would know anyway. Regarding those Black & Decker electric (not rechargeable) plug in hedge trimmers. Home Depot has...
4
4