Waterfurnace Problems

My house is 4200 sq.ft. My installer installed a EZ072 split heat pump. 3 zones. We have had problems from the start. My total Duct leakage Corrected to 25Pa is 536 CFM's. This is after he corrected my problems? My supply is 14'' round. Return is 9x16 . The unit never stops at 30F or above 85F. We have been in our new home 1 year. I've had another Waterfurnace dealer, do a blower door test, and two load cal. which said we needed a 4.1 ton at 1940 cfm. Waterfurnace has been no help. The State inspectors can't get our problem fixed. Any suggestions?

Reply to
rodthacker

Are the numbers a typo? 4,200 sq ft. @ 4.1 tons of cooling?

-zero

Reply to
-zero

the unit installed is a 3 ton to 6 ton split. The 4.1 ton is from my load cal. from my Nu-wool using Wrightsoft. My installor never gave us a proper load cal.

Reply to
rodthacker

Thanks,

Reply to
rodthacker

SQFT doesn't mean anything..... I have a home that I did here in south Mississippi that has 3,000 sqft of floor space and is heated and cooled with nothing more than a 14 SEER 2 ton heat pump.

Reply to
Noon-Air

Your right, Thanks

6 ton unit. But, If the duct work is crap nothing will work right.
Reply to
rodthacker

Yeah, but not everybody has equipment thats working properly and transferring the rated btu's.

:-)

Reply to
<kjpro

Need to get a lawyer on this. The duct is grossly undersized for your system. You have a six ton unit, a 14" round is good for about a 2.5 ton system max. The return isn&#39;t big enough for even a 2 ton for our installs.

Now, if you failed to mention that each of the three zones have 14" round then that&#39;s ok, IF they never shut down. Do you have controlled zones or just three zones that supply air all the time and each is 14"

If the total supply is one 14" duct and your only getting 536 CFM&#39;s; then there are tons of elbows, improper take offs, too small registers.

In other words, you need a lawyer. You may also need a certified engineer for a written statement. What took place was in my opinion a crime.

BTW, Water Furnace doesn&#39;t care any more than any other manufacture. They got their money and they will say that the unit will perform as specified if installed correctly. Yours ain&#39;t.........

Reply to
Geoman
536cfm for a 3-6 ton system??? Who & How measured? Was the system sized to heat or cool the 4100 sf? Sounds like an airflow issue. What&#39;s the temp drop/rise across the coil? What&#39;s the pressure drop across the coil? Clean filter? You should have around 400 cfm/ton as a rule...

Now the wet questions: GPM? GPM? GPM? GPM? GPM? GPM? Temps & pressures drop across the coaxial tube heat exchanger? (I&#39;m sure those pete&#39;s plugs were installed on the inlet & outlet... Gauges, even better)

Closed loop, open loop, pond loop system? Vertical or horizontal loops? loop depths & spacing? How many holes did you dig & how much tube is in the ground?

Was/is the loop installer IGSPHA trained or certified, or even know what IGSPHA is/does/stands for?

Here&#39;s the link for your unit specs (first link found on a google search) It shows the units low speed air flow should be 1400 cfm & the high speed should be 2200 I presume you have the proper airhandler & coil built for this system, if so, reduct the entire system because a 14" round ain&#39;t gonna cut it. Waterfurnace suggests/requires a variable speed unit with the 072 as well, and those are dependant on the static pressure of the duct...

It sounds like it&#39;s never hitting 2nd stage, which would cause the constant operation at high & low outdoor temps. If the 30dF is your design low temp, I&#39;d question geo over airsource in the first place.

good luck geothermaljones st.paul. mn

Reply to
geothermaljones

Thanks, He has 14&#39;&#39; round coming out of the air handler, At about 3 feet, one zone breaks left about 10 feet to a damper, 10 more feet its reduced down to 10&#39;&#39; for about 35 ft. One other 14&#39;&#39; breaks right to another damper, and then reduced to 10&#39;&#39;, these two zones supplies 3300 sq. ft. At about 6 feet one 14&#39;&#39; goes about 90 feet upstairs to another damper upstairs, it also reduces to 10&#39;&#39; to supply 900 sq.ft. He told the inspector that he had the high speed set on 1850 cfm&#39;s on the Intellizone. Does this make anymore sense? or no sense at all? Thanks,RT

Reply to
rodthacker

You don&#39;t know many facts about his system yet your first suggestion is to get a lawyer???

Reply to
<kjpro

The 536 cfm is duct leakage from a flow hood test , I had done. I have a closed vertical with 2000 ft. total loop. The Intellizone is set at 1850 max cfm&#39;s as the installor claimed to the inspectors. The air handler is not listed as a matching unit, a York 5 ton which the installor changed the motor two a 1 hp? I have had a lot of questions which he acts like I&#39;m a nut, Why did&#39;nt you install air handler which is recommended. Why is the line set differant than listed in the manual. Why is my hot water heater 75 feet from the unit. And why don&#39;t my system work right. Our installor has installed hundreds of these units. Waterfurance is all he installs. Thanks,RT

Reply to
rodthacker

Yep, if he put in 14" duct for a 6 ton unit, absolutely, the installer was a hack

What size duct do you think this system needs for six tons if you think 14 is acceptable?

Reply to
Geoman

Like I said the installer was a hack, 100% crap for an installer.

No wonder WaterFurnace doesn&#39;t care about your problem, its not a matched system approaved by ARI. You have a six ton unit with a five ton condenser,

14 " duct that can serve only a 2.5 ton AC. THEN he puts in a 1HP fan motor which does nothing but run up the electric bill.

Sorry Kjpro, but 14" round duct for a six ton unit doesn&#39;t work. As to the loop, forget about it at this moment, your duct system, its design, the mismatched equipment all spells tearing up all the walls in the home to correct this system. To do it correctly will cost almost double after you consider the cost of fixing up your home after they tear out the inside walls to gain access, the cleaning of it, and THEN it probably wont work correctly when this is done.

BTW, if a few of these hackers end up in court just MAYBE we can keep them out of the trade. I&#39;m sick of hack jobs, I see them and quote against them just about every day...

Reply to
Geoman

I think the question should be "How many 14" ducts"

Reply to
Noon-Air

He stated one 14 inch coming off, then branching out of a tee to another 14" which reduced immediately to a 10" with a zone damper. All three zones are that way.

I would bet the installer had to bleed off a lot of gas for this system to even run! LOL

Reply to
Geoman

I have been working on this problem for over a year. My house is new. Everyone, I&#39;ve asked bragged on him.I&#39;ve been paying for test for a year. Waterfurance is all he sells. We just want our system to work. If you need anymore info let me know. I just need some help. Thanks,RT

Reply to
rodthacker

The installer wouldn&#39;t have been the lowest bidder would he??? And I guess the installation wasn&#39;t inspected by a code enforcement officer either.

Reply to
Noon-Air

quoted text -

units. We went overbuget on HVAC and Nu-wool wall-seal cellullose insulation. Everything in our home is energy star rated, If that means anything. I did file a formal consumer complant in Sept. 06. A number of violations was noted. The State inspectors will be back on the 17th, to find out why nothings been done. It seems that our installors think of inspectors as pest. Thanks, RT

Reply to
rodthacker

True, but reading the information that he posted... I wouldn&#39;t be assuming things just yet. Could it be that there are in fact (4) 14" ducts? And not one 14" duct branching off to (3) 14" zone dampers?

Six tons... 2400 CFM... 20" round metal

But, I think the OP is getting all his information screwed up... like the quotes below.

"which said we needed a 4.1 ton at 1940 cfm" "the unit installed is a 3 ton to 6 ton split"

Reply to
<kjpro