Two small fans in series (airflow) better than one bigger one?

Hi Folks,

I hope this is the right place to ask a question like this.

I am building a solar heating solution for my workshop. It consists of a heated cavity, a series of pipes and fans to push the air down to the heat store (large volume of stone) and another fan to return the air to collector as it will still be above ambient temperature.

All things equal, I was wondering about the fans: There will be two working together; one pushing the into the store, one pushing the air back into the collector. As this is a (mostly) sealed system, these fans will compliment each other. The plumbing is 68mm PVC gutter downpipes. I chose that because it's wide ID, cost and east of use. As it happens, I have a couple of 60mm PC style fans

. As the pipes ID is 61mm, filing down the corners on the fans makes a nice tight fitting round fan.

The fans have the following job:

1) Push cool (heavy?) air up from the store into the collector. This is a head of about 1.7m (About 5"6). 2) Push hot (light?) air down into the bottom of the store. This would be around 1.9m. Also, a small amount of pressure is needed here as it has to force the air through a series of holes.

My question is this: If I find the fans do not have enough muscle, would simply adding another fan at each end, in series, help? The reason I would like to do this is because it's simple. Simply shoehorn another fan into the pipe. Drawback is double the current. As this setup runs on batteries and a solar panel, I need to be conservative.

My second option is to build a box which will house a bigger fan and connect that into the pipe. This is not ideal / neat. Also, larger fan still means more current.

Finally, does proximity matter if in series? Butting the two pans together, they become very noisy. Turbulence I imagine. Spaced around

100mm apart, they become "normal" noisy.

Thanks for any feedback.

Cheers, Crispin

Reply to
crispin.proctor

The axial fan you've choosen is efficient for free air flow, but not designed for ducted air flow. Generally speaking, axial fans are not used to develop pressure in a duct system. A blower is not as efficient, but 'is' capable of pressurizing a duct system. So to answer your question, no, an axial fan is not a good choice. You should be using a blower to move air in a duct.

Reply to
Zyp

in my opinion you are playing with you self 68 mm=apx 3" pipe to push any air through must be squirrel cage blower and even that with that size pvc pipe would be useless but that again is my opinion Tony

Reply to
new jersey

read up on the PV spec curves of fans

also if you can use real electricity in your system, consider a small heat pump, you can store a LOT more heat using a "phase change" like the "latent heat" of freezing/meltng water...but this of course is at

32F so you need a heat pump to get the heat out of the water..

use the sun to melt the water and then the heat pump to pull heat out of the water and freeze it...

Mark

Reply to
Mark