second opinion on my chimney

I bought a 1925 built house last year. When we got it we had a chimney guy come out and fix the top and check it. He re built the top of the chimney and said we are good to go. I asked about it being lined and he said it was fine.

This year I had another company come out with a camera. They cleaned the chimney and ran a camera. The smoke box is just brick. Seemed like an issue but he said it was still ok. Above that there is the original terracotta liner (rectangular). Some places where the terracotta section meets another there are gaps where some of the mortar is missing. Not a hole just a depression. The largest was about the size of my index finger, length and depth (average adult male). Meaning I could lay my finger in the groove and it would fit perfect. Only one of the gaps is that large and most places the grout or whatever it is is fine.

Basically we had one guy say its fine another say its a fire hazard and it would be $5000 to repair it.

  1. How dangerous is it? Small fire risk and keep using it, or oh my god the house is going to burn down anytime if you use it.

  1. An estimate for a 4 foot smoke box and 20 foot high chimney relining does 00 seem high?

  2. Most importantly can I use it through the holiday season? I used it all last year and since its been cold this year.

Thanks

Reply to
wellwood

Take the cash and get yourself a high efficiency furnace (doesn't need to go up the chimney)

Do you have kids? Do you love them?

$5000.00 a kid? Low. Unless they're MY kids.

Santa will clean it on the way down!

Reply to
HVAC

Hard to tell how dangerous it is or not without seeing it. One says its fine, other says its an expensive hazard. Why not try one more but do some home work. Find a good one. One with references. One that has a good BBB record or find someone from your local chimney supply shop or a friend that has had one out. Words like fire hazard and big dollar numbers should maybe set of a little buzzer in your head to dig a little deaper. Go up and look with the chimney guy. Maybe it is bad but see if he can actually show you what the big mess is all about. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

International code calls for unbroken liners from top to bottom. That does not necessarily mean that if not done, that it is dangerous. I recommend a public building official to inspect and make recommendations. You will pay for that. But that person or persons will not have an axe to grind and have non monetary gain to be had either way. I strongly suggest that you do whatever is necessary to safeguard the lives and health of you and your family. Don't let scare tactics color your reasoning. You did not mention what fuels you are using. That chimney can not utilize mixed fuels from more then one source. Call your local building inspection official promptly for the best advice.

Reply to
Don Ocean

I wonder if this fellow isn't inquiring about a fireplace chimney.

This price is high for a flexible Ngas liner. About right for a drawn heavy duty poured clay liner for a fireplace. A poured clay system is absolutely leakfree, has some flexibility with building movement and will normally last a lifetime. You of course can get by cheaper with clay pipe liners.. Much depends on how straight that chimney is and what kind of a smoke shelf is involved.

Reply to
Don Ocean

Part of the money to buy a generator, and a big tank of propane. In case the electric goes off.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon