Question on Heat Pump utility closet

I live on the 4th floor of a condo with a 20 year Carrier 50Qt through the wall electric heat pump. There is a louvered door to the closet. The problem is that the closet is real drafty - cold air leaks into the living room right through the louvered door. I've tried to seal around the wall sleeve as much as I can inside the closet, but I'm wondering if I can replace the louvered door with a regular door or cover the bottom louvers and put a draft stopper to keep the drafts in the closet and keep the cold from leaking in. If I did this would I be affecting the performance of the heat pump? Am I not considering return-air? There is a filter at the bottom of the heat pump that I replace on a monthly basis. There are no other appliances in this closet.

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
bostonmoores

Seeing as how the 20 yo heat pump is in fact 20 yo, it will affect effiency more than a drafty closet you daft knob. You're welcome.

I am the real ftwhd and I approve this message.

Reply to
ftwhd

I realize its 20 years old and is not efficient to what a new one can do; but I also can't afford at this time right now a new system; so if someone can just reply about the closet door that would be great.

Thanks

Reply to
mmoore

I understand the 20 year old model is not as efficient as a new replacement model; but at the same time I don't have the money to replace it. If someone can advise me about my original question about the door to the closet that would be great.

Reply to
bostonmoores

Ignore the other "ftwhd" he is a trolling forging pussy.

From your description it sounds like the return air is pulled through the closet door. If that is the case, blocking it off would not be a good idea. The cold air is probably coming through the unit coil as opposed to around the sleave. There's not much I or anyone can suggest without seeing it.

Reply to
ftwhd

That louvered door allows combustion air to enter the furnace. Don't dick with it.

Reply to
Don Ocean

Combustion air on a heat pump?

Reply to
ftwhd

Whoops, I didn't read that in total. Leave the door alone as it is probably your cold air return. No combustion there unless you have a Gas furnace to back up that Heat pump in very cold weather. If so that could be combustion air.

Reply to
Don Ocean

You were starting to worry me, I thought dementia was setting in. :)

Reply to
ftwhd

Is it possible that Heat pump has a gas furnace for very cold weather> A condo usually has a Air to air Heat pump. This guy does live in the Boston area. Not exactly the tropics in the winter.

Reply to
Don Ocean

Yeah and not exactly prime heat pump territory.

Reply to
ftwhd

I'm wondering why cold air comes out of the louvers into the room? Of course, I'd have to be there and have a look. Then, it would make sense, I'm sure.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

can't afford it blah, blah blah. Just keep giving the utility company free money. I suggest you look up "true cost calculator" you moron.

I am the real ftwhd and I approve this message.

Reply to
ftwhd

Um, me believes that you are a morphing troll.

I am the real ftwhd and I approve this message.

Reply to
ftwhd

That's what happens when the heat strips short out dummy.

I am the real ftwhd and I approve this message.

Reply to
ftwhd

Get an electrician to check your shorts :-)

Reply to
Steve

Why are you replying to forgers..

Reply to
ftwhd

Sorry but your not a real anything butt a pouting forging baby bubba.

Reply to
ftwhd

I don't know who is forging whom....... and I don't care. I don't play those kinds of games.

Reply to
Steve

Heres a hint. Im not forging myself so just be sure your talking to me when you reply otherwise ill just assume you are a moron.

Cop out.

Reply to
ftwhd