Oil smell from furnace (when fan is on but flame out, I think)

We've had an oil smell coming through our vents for about a year. Our local heating service company has come out twice and found nothing. Neither the smoke detectors nor the carbon monoxide detector protest and we haven't had any apparent health effets. Yesterday I realized that the smell only comes through only after the temperature exceeds the setting on the thermostat and contines for a while until the fan stops blowing. I don't know if it works this way but I'm guessing that the fan keeps going for a little while after the flame is out. If so, that seems to be when the oil smell occurs.

I would appreciate your advice/thoughts.

Reply to
Restaurant Guy

You need a new furnace. Try a heat pump. Get a new thermostat. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

My first question ...would be??? Do you have an oil furnace?

Reply to
daytona°

Reply to
Restaurant Guy

Make and model...some oil furnaces have problems and characteristics

Reply to
daytona°

I will say it again I am not HVAC person However from mechanical point view it seems that you are having some oil residue that it needs to be burn out, you also may have draft problem check your smoke stock make sure you are not getting down flow on shut down, does your chimney is adjusted for proper draft, any chance that your furnace creating vacuum in your basement, does your ignition system shut off before the oil, defective pump shut-off valve, the air entrapped in nozzle due to restriction in supply line oil expansion in the nozzle line assy. due to radiated heat at shut down, make sure that you have makeup air at location of furnace, your chimney temperature perhaps some what low for the draft require or needed, Good luck from Dido

Reply to
AKS

Who'd a thunk?

and you think Oil, could be doing that?

smoke stock? Is he stocking cigars now?

Yes, he had the bricks rotated for proper draft just the other day.

Yeah, they all do that. I think this brand furnace is a "Hoover".

Yeah, they all do that too.

That would be called an "oil pump"

Im going to need that one in English please.

He just ordered a box of that yesterday

You have a draft versus temperature chart now? This one I gotta see Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

Reply to
Steve Scott

Reply to
jamesgangnc

Thanks all for the replies. Furnace repair is over my head, for sure. I've decided to call a different service company (and hand them a summary of your responses.) I'll report back here for your interest on what they say/find/do. Wish me luck. I don't want to have to buy a new furnace.

Brian

jamesgangnc wrote:

Reply to
Restaurant Guy

Hi Steve James, have answer your question Dido

Reply to
AKS

Hi James, It nice to no dat we hav dildo here to kept us un topz ob thngs. Bibbuba

Reply to
Bubba

Reply to
Steve Scott