Motor wiring

I was hooking up a condensor motor today. Typical 4 wire single speed.- Black, White & 2 Browns (one with white tracer) I noticed on the wiring diagram that the white wire was labeled (common) I've argued this before with some of the guys & I still say that the white is the run & not the common. The same goes for 3 speed motors. When you have a black, blue & red for your speeds & say a yellow for common along with your 2 browns, isn't the yellow really the run winding & whichever speed you use is really the common. I'd be curious to see who agrees or disagrees

Gary.

Reply to
Gary E

I will not agree or disagree... I will however default to the wiring diagram on the motor.

Reply to
Noon-Air

I will post in line!

Reply to
Bob Pietrangelo

Bob, do you really know how to use a computer and post usenet messages? You really need to take a few classes on the topic, you top posting moron. lol

Reply to
gofish

I didn't post this to get into a pissing contest but to hear some ideas either for or against what I stated. When looking at a PSC motor there is Common, Start & Run. It doesn't matter if it's a wire sticking out of the motor or a terminal. Obviously any more explanation to you would be futile. Just because you can't grasp that concept doesn't change what is fact. To answer your question, Yes.

Gary

Reply to
Gary E

To answer your question Bob which is more than you did to mine, Yes.

Reply to
Gary E

pain meds !!!!!

Reply to
Bob Pietrangelo

pat, yes i should take some lessons, in fact i will schedule them now. It definitely not one of my better attributes........and thanks for the compliment....lol

Reply to
Bob Pietrangelo

Sorry for my insult, and not thinking about post b4 replying

Reply to
Bob Pietrangelo

Gary, I think you either missed, or left out a lot of details.... It doesn't make a rats ass what colors the wires are... Different types and manufacturers motors have different colors of wires, especially if you throw different voltages and 3 phase motors in the mix. Now... if you had a *white* wire that was labeled as "common", then I would venture to say that it was probably a 120v motor. I can't ever recall seeing a 120v condenser fan motor except on a window shaker. On *most* 240v single phase motors that I have worked with, they are labled as L1, L2 or simply "Line", then the capacitor and ground wires. They do not normally have a "common" wire. FWIW, The 240v PSC condenser fan motors that I install on a regular basis have Orange, Purple, Brown, Black, and Red wires(no white wire). The ones I routinely replace have Red, Black, and Brown wires(no white wire here either).

Reply to
Noon-Air

when you become a pain in the ass, you go take your pain meds?

Reply to
gofish

I tried to be clear but I may have left out some details. It was a Fasco 208/230 single speed condenser motor & I have rarely used them through the years so I needed to look at the diagram to be sure. The thing that got me was it actually showed the white wire as common on the diagram on the motor. It was a 4 wire motor that I was using on a 3 wire application, black, white, two browns( one with a white tracer). I ohmed out the brown with the white tracer to make sure what lead it was tied to. It was the white as you would figure. It just kind of bugged me that the white was labeled common & thats why I posted here. As far as I know all the motors that have two capacitor wires stubbed out, one of those wires (usually striped ) is junctioned to the run winding. Some diagrams will show capping one of those wires for a 3 wire application.

Actually your motor would make a good example. I use some with the same color code for my 825 RPM applications.(Mars/GE) purple & brown go to the capacitor , orange is common & red & black are hi & lo speed or hp.

3 wire just cap the purple & tie the orange to the cap. My point is if the Orange ties to the cap then it is not really common but run & the whatever speed is used is really common. I never remember seeing a common written on the diagram of a 240 v. motor either but I did the other day. I've always called it common but technically I think I've been wrong.

Gary

Reply to
Gary E

IF THE YELLOW OR WHITE IS NOT THE COMMON THEN HOW COME YOU NEED TO USE IT WITH THE OTHER WIRES TO SWITCH THE SPEED IT SEEMES TO ME THAT IF THE SPEED WIRES WERE THE COMMON THEN YOU COULD USE LOW AND HIGH LEAVE OUT THE "RUN" AND SHE WOULD FIRE RIGHT UP NOW I KNOW WHY THAT HOME OWNER IS CALLING YOU HVAC GUYS DUMB THINK ABOUT IT WHAT DOES ANY OF THE SPEED WIRES HAVE IN COMMON WITH EACH OTHER YOU SHOULD TEST YOUR IDEA HOOK UP THE L1 TO LOW AND THE L2 TO HIGH THEN "RUN" I SHOULD NOT BE SUPPRIZED I TOOK A JOB AS A SERVICE MANG AT A RESD HVAC CO I WAS IN THE COMMERCIAL REFRIGERATION FEIELD FOR ABOUT 15 YEARS AT THE TIME I THOUGHT I WOUL KNOW LESS THE THE 15 TECHS SO I SIGNED EVERYONE UP AT THE LOCAL COMMUNITY COLLEGE TO TAKE THE ICE RESD EXAM INCLUDING MYSELF I SCORED THE HIGHEST 90% ONLY THREE TECHS PASSED I NEVER WORKED ON A RESD PICE OF EQUIPMENT AND I SCORED THE HIGHEST IT IS SCARRY TO KNOW RESD TECHS SHOULD BE THE BEST THEY ARE WORKING IN HOMES WERE PEOPLE LIVE 80% OF THERE LIVES WE CANT BLAME THE TECHS THERE GETING JOBS THAT WOULD NOT BE AVAIL IF HOME OWNERS PAID FOR QUALITY ITS ALL PRETTY "COMMON" GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR TEST DONT FORGET TO "RUN" ATLEAST YOU ARE NOT AFRAID TO ASK A QUESTION MOST TECHS DONT EVEN WANT TO INCREASE THEIR KNOWLEGE BASE ANSWER IS IT IS CALLED THE COMMAN BECAUSE IT CAN BE USED WITH ANY OF THE DIFFERENT RUN WINDINGS OF THE MOTOR SO IT IS COMMON TO THE SYSTEM MOTORS USE INDUCTANCE THEY ARE NOT RESISTORS THAT IS WHY YOU CAN USE A CAPASITOR TO LAG THE CURRENT AND VOLTAGE THE YELLOW OR WHITE IS A CENTER TAP WITH THE TWO OR THREE DIFFERENT SIZE MOTOR WINDINGS WHEN YOU USE IT IT IS JUST THE OTHER END OF ALLTHREE WINDINGS IF YOU USE THE HIGH SPEED END AND THE LOW SPEED END THEN YOU HAVE TWO WINDINGS IN THE CURCIT TAKE HANDY $300 FLUKE YOU GOT ON THE CO TOOL ACCOUNT AND PROVE IT TO YOUR SELF CHECK THE RESISTANCE BETWEEN HIGH AND LOW AND FROM HIGH AND COMMON AND LOW AND COMMON ILL BET HIGH TO LOW IS THE HIGHEST RESITANCE YOU SEEM TO BE STUCK WITH THE THINKING THAT A SINGLE PAHSE 208-230V SYSTEM IS THE SAME AS A 110-115V SYSTEM WHEN YOU ARE DEALING WITH MOTORS A 208-230V SYSTEM IS NOT THE SAME AS A 110V SYSTEM YOUR DEALING WITH A LARGER QUANTA OF ELECTRONS ON THE OUTER SHELL WHEN THE L2 PHASE GETS QUARK STUCK IN IT THE OUTER SHELL OF THE HELLIUM ATOM HAS TO JUMP DOWN TWO QUANTA WHEN THIS HAPPENS INSTEAD OF A PHOTON BEING RELEASED A ANTI MATTER PARTICAL IS RELEASED THIS CAUSES A SHIFT IN THE SPACE TIME RELATIONSHIP AND THE L2 WIRE ACTUALY BECOMES THE L1 WIRE SO THE RUN SHIFTS TO THE COMMON AT ABOUT 43.656 CYCLES PER SECOND PER SECOND THE HUMMAN CORTEX CAN ONLY PROCESS QUANTA AT ABOUT 8 CYCLES PER SECOND SO NEC DICTATES THAT THE COMMON IS ACTUALY THE RUN AND THE COMMON FOR

28.765 SECOND PER SECOND / E=MC2 SO THEY MAKE THE MANUFACTURE MARK IT ON THE MOTOR THAT WAY BECAUSE WHAT REALY MATTERS IS THE WHITE OR THE YELLOW IS THE ONLY WIRE THAT IS IN COMMON WITH THE OTHERS I WILL BE HAPPY TO OUTLINE THIS FOR YOU MATHMATICLY IF YOU ARE ABLE TO DECERN SUPER STRING INTEGERS I COULD ALSO HAVE MY FREIND STEVEN HAWKING GIVE YOU A CALL IF YOUR DOWN WITH ENTROPY ONE THING I WOULD SUGGEST IS TRY NOT TO CONSENTRSTE ON THE NAMES AND NUMBERS OF EQUIPENT AND BE ABLE TO TALK ABOUT THE MODLE NUMBERS LOOK AT HOW THINGS REALY WORK LIKE OHMS LAW AND THE SECOND LAW OF THERMODYNAMICS THE CARNOT CYCLE ETHALPY AND HUMMIDITY THIS IS THE STUFF THAT MAKES A GOOD HVAC/R MAN NOT BEING ABLE TWO RATTLE OFF THAT A HONEYWELL VISION PRO 999------ HAS TWO STAGES OF COOLING AND A DEHUMID RELAY ANY DUMB ASS CAN LOOK THAT UP ON A WEBSITE GET OUT OF THE LOOP MAN

On Oct 19, 11:24 pm, "Gary E" wrote:

Reply to
shinesapp

hereActually your motor would make a good example.

Reply to
shinesapp

Reply to
Bubba

Reply to
shinesapp

Reply to
shinesapp

It's better to remain silent & be thought a fool than to speak & remove all doubt. Just be thankful you can stay anonymous in cyberspace. It cuts down on the embarrassment if you ever get a clue.

Reply to
Gary E

Reply to
shinesapp

So then you're not afraid to learn. Good.

You need to look up "Usenet origins" on your favorite search engine(Google), and read how this all got started.

Look for "Usenet FAQ" . (that stands for frequently-asked-questions). It explains that using all caps is just like shouting. There are a lot of ways to express yourself on Usenet. It has rules and standards all it's own, just like our trade.

If you post to ANY group in all caps, you'll soon be filtered out so no one is actually reading/seeing your posts. I don't know what it's called under Mozilla 4.0. It's called _block sender_ in Outlook-Express.

-zero

Reply to
-zero