Jumping out a Chonotherm III

All --

If I wanted to bypass or jump out a chronotherm III, where the furnace is connected to W1 and C screws, how would I do this? Jumping W1 and C does not seem to do it.

Does this mean the III is supplying the 24 V to the control board? I thought the 24V xformer was external, and that the III was just acting as a switch. I know the 24 V transformer for cooling is external.

So if I wanted to bypass the III altogether, how would I do this?

Reply to
Existential Angst

Just jump W1 and C, then change the setpoint so it calls for heat, and give it 5 minutes. That will 'latch' it up.

Reply to
.p.jm.

"Dear Doctor. I'm sick. I tried taking asprin, but it didn't help. I'm not going to tell you what symptoms I had. I'm not going to tell you what I'm trying to accomplish by takeing medicine. But, I'm going to ask you waht pills to take."

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

problem is stormy, you put the pill in the wrong hole. I top posted this especially for you.

Reply to
real pisser

Suppose the III is kaput; or equivalently, suppose the two wires are disconnected from from the III. Jumping them doesn't work. And there is no voltage at the wires when disconnected from the III, which suggests no 24 V xformer on the controller or externally.

So I put the wires back on the III, and when calling for heat, saw 24 V on the wires, suggesting that the III is supplying the 24 V to kick in the controller.

So I disconnected the wires again, had the III call for heat, saw it was indeed energizing the two terminals with 24 V. So with the two wires still disconnected, I put a separate 24 V to them, to kick in the furnace..

No go -- only when the wires are physically connected to the III does the furnace kick in.

So is the 24 V from the III a "special" 24 V? What's going on?

Reply to
Existential Angst

OK, so you don't know how a thermostat or basic controls work... Your best bet is to call you local HVAC pro, and upgrade to a Vision Pro 8000 stat.

No I am not gonna tell you why its not working, other than tho quit while your ahead before you burn up a control board and/or transformer.

Reply to
Noon-Air

Jumper r and w1

Reply to
The King

Dog forbid he should get any advice that led to that ! :-)

Reply to
.p.jm.

Don't be silly ! That would back-feed voltage into the W1 heating circuit ! Something would start smoking almost immediately !

Reply to
.p.jm.

Hmm, You checked continuity of those two wires from 'stat to the furnace? First thing first, Eh? BTW, 'stat is not a source of 24V AC.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Would that be Rh or Rc, and would that be W1 or W2? Jumping the wrong one could easily fry the board, or the transformer. He didn't say what he was wanting to accomplish, so even those instructions might not be useful. It's reckless to tell him to do this or that, if you don't know the purpose or goal.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Its pretty clear that what he is trying to accomplish is to see if the stat is bad or if there's a problem with the furnace. Stop trying to out smart people who are smarter than yourself. It makes you look like a fool. Which btw you are.

Reply to
The King

lol

Reply to
The King

Wasn't obvious at all, to me. I figured he had a bad stat, and wanted some quick heat for the weekend. Or some quick cooling, whichever.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

The understatement of the year...

Reply to
The King

FWIW, the Chronotherm III does have Rc and Rh terminals on the sub base, as well and W1 and W2 If you had ever installed any of them, you would know this. Chronotherm III stats are a PITA to program too.

Also... if you jump W1 and C, its not gonna do anything. Thats hooking common to common and expecting it to work..... but then according to some of the trolls on here, we don't know what we're talking about.

The next questions are what configuration of system?? heat only?? heat w/ A/C?? heat pump?? dual fuel?? How old is the system?? What was it doing or not doing??

99% of the time, replacing a thermostat is like saying "My car won't run, maybe if I get a new key for it...."

Gee... maybe the techs on here are not that are ignorant or stoopid.......

Reply to
Steve

I never said they didn't have rh and rc. As for w2, that depends on if'in its a two stage stat. Are all chronotherm III's two stage? um nope. Honeywell doesn't ever use that name anymore. How old is that puppy. I use to have one but it puked after 10 years. T8700C 1004 rings a bell. I may have the last four wrong. Available in both single and multi stage configurations. Off the top of my head..

I thought they were very use friendly. Way better than W/R stats.

Ya think?

to some of

Probably a past paid too much for a filter troll.

When the key wears out and wont turn the ignition the car wont start... :)

Some sure are, one in particular. You seem angry tonight?

Reply to
The King

They all used the same sub base

The OP couldn't figure it out.....

yup

When the key wears out, a paper clip works just fine :-)

not angry, just intolerant of a bunch of crap from wannabe types that payed to have a new filter delivered and installed for $150

Reply to
Steve

I love it when a customer says, "I think I need a new thermostat." If it's hanging off the wall in little pieces, I agree with them. I know a guy who has a crazy girlfriend, when she gets mad at him, she takes it out on the house by breaking things.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

I bet she's great in bed. Wow, what a wild ride that would be.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon