howdy y'all , been a coons age

hey there ladies and gentlemen , associates and colleagues

after an extended hiatus , i am back, had to go with a isp for a while that offered no usenet , and i wasnt going to pay them extra for it , now i have moved and have usenet again . those of you whom i remember Paul, Turtle, Cbhvac , Stormin Norman , Oval, " the other Rich" im the guy in central illinois , looking forward to catching up with you guys , and fending off more stoopid questions from H'O'S

Reply to
The Freon Cowboy

Welcome back.... several are no longer here, some still are, along with some now ones too.

Reply to
Noon-Air

Welcome!

The original RICH

Reply to
Geoman

Hello, have you always posted under 'the freon cowboy'?

Reply to
<kjpro

messagenews:39KdnfduselVKRrbnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@insightbb.com...

no . used to use my real name ,

Reply to
ledouxfan

messagenews:39KdnfduselVKRrbnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@insightbb.com...

How long have you been gone?

Reply to
<kjpro

about two and a half years i figure , paul will remember me, i had a problem a while back with a freezer, paul nad the others helped me sort it out , it was back in 03 , been a while since then , ;-)

Reply to
The Freon Cowboy

(snip)

Hi there,

As a HO in central Illinois (folks, please don&#39;t flame me!), I hope you or someone else can help me find a reputable HVAC service company/tech in Champaign County. Yes, I can whiffle through the Yellow Pages and take the luck of the draw, but that certainly is not a reliable method to find someone who&#39;s honest and knowledgeable. Nor do I know anyone personally whom I could ask for service referrals. I especially want to avoid the situation where I have to hire a second company or person to fix the goofs of the first one - that sort of thing.

I am trying to do my homework so I can make informed decisions and have read through many of the posts here on alt.hvac (nearly 5,000) and alt.home.repairs. It&#39;s not easy to do when I don&#39;t know what I need to learn. How do I find something when I don&#39;t know what I&#39;m looking for?

So far, I believe the most important thing I&#39;ve learned reading here is that it&#39;s critical to get the job done properly the first time by someone who really knows their stuff inside and out. Also, it doesn&#39;t really matter as to which well-known brand is used (AS, Trane, Lennox, Heil, Rheem, etc.), as long as the installation and work are done the right way with quality workmanship from the get-go.

Here&#39;s the scoop: My central A/C compressor (nearly 30 years old) bit the dust a few days ago. So, I&#39;ll probably have to get the entire system replaced - it&#39;s simply too old to maintain "as is". And, since the natural gas furnace will most likely get pulled to access the evaporator coils underneath, I&#39;ll probably replace it as well because it&#39;s as old or older than the A/C. There&#39;s no point in putting that ancient-but-working beast back in when that labor is part of the A/C job (right?). Might just as well put in a new and modern furnace that works ever so much better for probably significantly less cost.

So, my two simple questions right now are 1) who can be recommended to do the work above if it was your home [if you couldn&#39;t do it yourself], and 2) and even more importantly, who should I steer clear of? Thanks so much.

Elle, who will probably have more stoopid questions and knows not to install anything Goodman ;)

ellezbeau (aatt) yahoo (ddoott) com

Reply to
Elle Beau

I would take a properly sized, installed and set-up Goodman over any brand that has been hacked in...

Ask your friends, family, neighbors, co-workers, church members... who they use and if their happy with the services received.

Make sure the company sizes the unit by performing a Manual J &#39;load calculation, this requires them to measure your home, windows, doors, building construction, insulation, etc.. If they are sizing your new unit by &#39;sq ft&#39; of floor space (or replacing the old with like sizes), show them to the front door!

Make sure they look at your ducting to insure the new equipment will operate with-in the manufactures specifications. If the ducting isn&#39;t sized correctly, you won&#39;t have the proper airflow your new unit requires. This will not only cost you more to operate, but it will shorten the life of the unit and cause equipment failures.

Make sure they measure the inlet/out gas pressures, temperature rise, TEST, ect to make sure your equipment is operating with-in the manufactures specifications.

Reply to
<kjpro